Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dirt Sailor Reporting

Rate this question

samclemmons

Question

I've been reading and learning from the site for several months. I've had some private conversations with rentalguy about my claim and resulting secondary issues. I'm about to file for these secondary issues but as a newb I'm a little daunted by the whole thing. I keep wondering if I know enough to do it right, then put it off, and read some more. One of these days. Anyway, hey ya'll.

NA

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
I keep wondering if I know enough to do it right, then put it off, and read some more. One of these days. Anyway, hey ya'll.

NA

I would start by filing an informal claim. Simply write a letter to the R/O and state what you are claiming and also that you are aware that you have one year to formalize the claim. This should allow you time to work the issues and protect your back pay.

I would start by filing an informal claim. Simply write a letter to the R/O and state what you are claiming and also that you are aware that you have one year to formalize the claim. This should allow you time to work the issues and protect your back pay.

Can I do that even though I'm claiming secondary issues and it's not my first claim?

Neal

Neal,

Welcome to Hadit.

Your service connected disability is _____________________.

You feel you have additional disability of ___________________.

The conditions are related due to _____________________________.

Please fill in the blanks.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Can I do that even though I'm claiming secondary issues and it's not my first claim?

Neal

If I understand you correctly the answer is yes. In your letter list your primary disabilities first as they are and then list your secondary conditions last. Example:

1. Claim for hypertension.

2. Claim for hearing loss.

3. Secondary claim for chronic kidney disease due to hypertension.

While in service I jumped a fence and landed on a pitchfork driving it through my foot. Two months later I had surgery to remove cellulitis/plantar fibromatosis. I spent 30 years with an altered gait but it wasn't till the last 5 or so years that it got bad. I was service connected this year for post tibial paralysis. In the last 6 months I've developed ankle and knee problems my podiatrist calls neuritis, plantar fasciitis both feet, pes planus with calcaneal(sp) and interdigital neuroma left foot all of which my civy doctor says are directly related to my altered gait. I've also got tinnitus and hearing loss which my ear nose and throat guy says is attributable to a 13 month hitch in the hangar in GTMO bay.

so,

1. service connected - post tibial paralysis

2. secondary issues - bi fasciitis, bi pes planus, Mortons neuroma, neuritis ankles and R knee, attributable to altered gait.

3. Request service connected - Tinnitus/hearing loss - jets/aircraft engines

Figuring out these rating numbers is confusing. Does sombody have a handle on these?