Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim "closed Out"

Rate this question

kaykay

Question

I was told by the 800# that this week my claim was decided and "closed out." What does this mean? I thought claims were not closed until after a year without an appeal being filed. Please help me understand this. Thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

kaykay

I have heard that they can close a claim if they think you asked them to. I am told that a verbal request to close a claim even if it is on the phone will be acted upon by the VA. Sometimes a misunderstanding in what is said on the phone leads to a closure.

Poolguy

Have you heard anything along these lines. I was suprised that I was told a verbal request can result in the closure of a claim.

• HadIt.com Elder
kaykay

I have heard that they can close a claim if they think you asked them to. I am told that a verbal request to close a claim even if it is on the phone will be acted upon by the VA. Sometimes a misunderstanding in what is said on the phone leads to a closure.

Poolguy

Have you heard anything along these lines. I was suprised that I was told a verbal request can result in the closure of a claim.

Anything is possible- I guess. Personally, I would not accept nor have I seen any other form of withdrawing a claim than a signed statement from the veteran stating specifically that he/she is withdrawing the claim. It would certainly be a CUE at some point down the road if there was no evidence to such. I also seriously do not think that the operators at the 1-800 #s can do this on there own.

Edited by poolguy11550

• HadIt.com Elder
I forgot to point out I was told this by the VFW. As a result they notify their claimants never to call the 800 # for any reason.

Yes, I would never bother with 1-800#. I fully believe that you would have a better chance to find out what ever you need and with a greater degree of accuracy with a call to the psychic hot line.