VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Tdiu Question

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

I was recently increased from 60% to 70% disability compensation. 60% for DMII includes secondary conditions. I know that that is the criteria for application for TDIU. My DAV SO has sent in the form 21-4138 SSOC to request TDIU. I'm not sure if we did the right thing. I haven't had a real job for two years but I do have income from the position I hold in our local Township government. It pays $1,000.00 per month. I have been elected to this position for ten years. No one else wants the job, it's very stressfull. I would like to quit but the money it pays keeps me and the wife in our house. Poverty threshold as near as I can figure is $860.00 per month so I am $140.00 too much. My SO says that I am not gainfully employed so it might go thru. The Catch 22 is we can't live without the $1,000.00 income per month and we can not survive on 70% disability alone. Any input will be appreciated. THANKS! Terry Sturgis

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Terry,

they may hold that you are able to be gainfully employed if you are able to hold such a position. They're have been some rumblings from Congress lately, that basically want the limit increased to say 12 or 13K for the threshold. Also when it comes to TDIU and employability, what are the average incomes, wages in your township. It's not always about what the numbers are, but relevant to where you live and cost of living as well. I take it that with that position, what you have one or two meetings a month. To me it hardly constitutes gainful employment, the other position you could take is that if you get it, you could offer to serve for free or only take half of the payment. Just some thoughts, if I find the information I was refering to I'll get back to you on it.

Guest Namvet6567

Terry - is the money they pay a salary or stipend? Do they take taxes out of it? Also, make sure your SO applies for TDIU back to the date your increase took effect.

Guest terrysturgis

10thFO, there is only one meeting a month. Namvet, it is a salaried position and I receive a W-2 for it. Thanks for the replies. Terry Sturgis