Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Hospital Records Seperate From 'health' Records?

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

This was on another topic.

"There is one other thing that you can tell this veteran. When a veteran submits an SF-180 form to the National Personnel Records Center he only receives copies of his standard service records. He does not receive copies of any hospital reports. Those are held in a separate location in the National Personnel Records Center and have to be requested separately in a request that includes the name of the hospital the veteran was hospitalized at and the approximate dates of hospitalization. "

I thought it best to bring it to a new topic as concerns my problems. While at Ft. Knox, I was hospitalized for 1 week with "ARD"- Acute respiratory disease" I passed out in barracks with a high fever and a pal carried me to his car and thence to the hospital. I always called it pneumonia. As noted, I was hospitalized for days, released, coughed my lungs out first day out and went right back and they kept me a week. As part of my treatment, I had to spend 15-20 minutes a day breathing some kind of medicine from an air tank. I have no copies of those records.

Another thing from Ft. Knox. A fellow tried to rob me. Clotted me on top of the head with a sawed off entrenching tool handle. Bloody amateur. Had he belted me up the side of the head he'd have had me. But when I turned around to face him he dropped his jaw and his stick and ran faster than I ever could.

But.

About two hours later it caught up with me and I only just managed not to pass out. I had to go to the clinic there in 'splinter village' the next day. They X-rayed my head and pronounced I might have had a mild concussion and was lucky not to have a cracked skull. Any way, I have none of those records either. I've got records from NARA twice now and never yet got those.

So do we have to ask for those kind of records from a different location? And, does anybody recall the name of the hospital at Ft. Knox? Not the 'old brick hospital,' but the 'newer one, (newer in 1975/7)

Edited by Jayg

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I have a few problems with record maintenace while in the army. While on field training exercises or actual combat in a war zone, the soldier goes to see the medic who is kicked back in his M-113 and explains an illness or injury. What does the medic usually do....here are a couple of Tylenol (APAP) or a cold pack. Now I don't mean to minimalize a medics job, but that was usually the case for me. Nothing annotated in any records. Go back to your unit and have a good day soldier. The respone I guess is that we should have followed up when we got back from the exercise or the war.....thats what I'm doing now by going to the VA. I wish they would recognize that.

OOOPS...forgot to mention, I like to whine and my wife gets tired of hearing me so I found this site. Feel free to tell me to take a hike or a long run off a short dock. It's ok.

OOOPS...forgot to mention, I like to whine and my wife gets tired of hearing me so I found this site. Feel free to tell me to take a hike or a long run off a short dock. It's ok.

Mike, I suspect you'd have a lot of company walking down that pier... ;)

Wings, many thanks for that link!

Thanks! :P