Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Project 112 /shad Question

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Are there any USMCers here who were part of biological "clean up" of USS Sumter -fall 1972-

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

6 answers to this question

• In Memoriam

I am sure there were other marines on ships that were exposed. These are the only ones on land that I know about. I was on the carrier involved in this experiment, but it is not listed in the DoD docs of ships involved. This test was in the middle to end of May 1969.

post-167-1235112553_thumb.jpg

• In Memoriam

Here is the President and Admiral Moore (CNO) aboard the USS Sarratoga 1969, giving us the kiss of death, right before we went to the Virgin Islands, which is the Viequez Island off the coast of Puerto Rico. The silver sand-blasted A4 aircraft, with spray tanks, were piloted with marines and flew aboard the USS Saratoga on our way to Viequez Island. There is no mention of USS Saratoga in the experiment, only mention the unsuspecting US Marines on shore.

post-167-1235113254_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stretch-trying to get more info-

he said he was in SHAD tests done while he was at Camp Pendleton too.

Many sent him info on SHAD-I will try to get him on board here.

I am having hard time placed his ship on Eastern Coast Atlantic during the dates he gave-

the ship deployed troops to Vietnam via the Pacific during 1972 and yet seems to have been in the Atlantic fleet after his dates-

still this will all be clarified -

The USS Sumter LST 1181 was decommissioned in 1993 and sent to Taiwanese Navy-and renamed Chung Ping.

• In Memoriam

There were CBW test on the coast off Southern California. There were also under-water Nuke explosions off the coast of Southern Califorina. Several Sailors lost their lives in one Nuke UD explosion, when they were blown off the ships involved. USS Ranger, the ship I was on, and other ships were on search for survivors. This Nuke was in or around Sept. 1970. I think that Allens ship was also involved, I think Allens ship was USS Twinning.

I have details on the Nuky explosion, if needed.

USS Sarratoga went from the Atlantic fleet to Pacific fleet West-Pac the next cruise after 1970. I am sure other ships made the move, to West-Pac, in 1970 till the end of the War.

He may have to get his ships logs through FOIA.

Thanks again Stretch-I gave him http for USS Sumter logs,reunion stuff, history etc-

he hadnt responded.

I have a Navy vet in explosion at Subic bay-1970s and the VA said it never happened.

He claims lives were lost.

Tinnitus claim.

But he did get 100% P & T on another claim.

It bothers him greatly that the Navy and the VA (I saw all of his documents) said what he saw never happened and no sailor was killed.