Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ops In Support Of

Rate this question

Guest Berta

Question

Something here made me think of this today-

many troops were in service battalions that were directly in support of combat troops-(like Signal Corps , Communications, etc)

to support a service nexus- when the veteran's service records might be devoid of each operation-the veteran should try to access the unit's history that they were in support of---

as well as their own unit's history---

does that make sense?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Berta,

Good point, and yes very much needs to be addressed. From experience here it goes. I served in Somalia. I was an Artillery Forward Observer. I was attached to a Infantry Battallion whenever and wherever we deployed anywhere. When I was at Permanent Duty Station, I was assigned to the Artillery Battalion. When I went to Somalia, I went with a Platoon from the Infantry Battallion. We were in support of a different infantry Battallion.

Luckily for me and my other FO friends, we had some good NCO's that made sure we got the paperwork stating that we were attached to said units and their combat awards. I've got the list with names and social security numbers. Came in quite handy when I filed for PTSD. Otherwise, I don't think they would have believed that I was there.

Scary but true. I also have found on the internet some After Action Reports done by the officers of the Infantry Battallion we were attached to , and they referred in their reports to the platoon from the infantry platoon I was attached to. That and the paperwork approving the award I recieved spelled out the fact that I was under heavy RPG and small arms fire. I'm planning on getting the rest of the records just for my info, but I had plenty with those few things.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.