Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fusion L5-s1

Rate this question

willie 74

Question

New to the site and I am learning a great deal. I am curently active duty and had disk fusion surgery on my L5-S1 back last year. Ofcourse everything is being documented, but know I am having Bladder issues. Going to see the nuerologist next week. I am reading about other people's expiriences and it is somewhat of a scary thing thinking about applying for disability if I have to get out. So I understand things are based off of range of motion and such. If my bladder issues are diagnosed as something from my back as well; off everyones expirience what kind of rating do you think I would see. I mean I know it is based off of so many things. Just wondering if anyone could give me some type of feedback. Thank you..

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am rated at 60% for bladder incontinence secondary to my service connected intervetebral disc syndrome (spinal stenosis, facet joint arthritis, and degenerative joint disease). I just had a new C&P for this condition yesterday. If you can get a doctor involved right away, it may be correctable, but it's a 50/50 thing. It started with me in 2004 and the docs say it's permanent now. I started developing a foot drop a couple of years ago, too. That is permanent as well now. L5-S1 is a ugly part of the spine because so many nerve roots exit at that level. If it does become permanent, you will learn to live with it. It is embarrasing as hell at first, but you eventually learn how to compensate. There are wonderful products on the market these days for men. Take a look at my blog for tips on filing your claim when you are ready to ETS, and HERE is a link to my spine claim repository. Here is the rating criteria for bladder incontinence:

38 CFR 4.115a

Voiding dysfunction:

Rate particular condition as urine leakage, frequency, or obstructed voiding.

Continual Urine Leakage, Post Surgical Urinary Diversion,

Urinary Incontinence, or Stress Incontinence:

Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing of absorbent

materials which must be changed more than 4 times per day 60

Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials which must be

changed 2 to 4 times per day 40

changed less than 2 times per day 20

90%, TDIU P&T

I am rated at 60% for bladder incontinence secondary to my service connected intervetebral disc syndrome (spinal stenosis, facet joint arthritis, and degenerative joint disease). I just had a new C&P for this condition yesterday. If you can get a doctor involved right away, it may be correctable, but it's a 50/50 thing. It started with me in 2004 and the docs say it's permanent now. I started developing a foot drop a couple of years ago, too. That is permanent as well now. L5-S1 is a ugly part of the spine because so many nerve roots exit at that level. If it does become permanent, you will learn to live with it. It is embarrasing as hell at first, but you eventually learn how to compensate. There are wonderful products on the market these days for men. Take a look at my blog for tips on filing your claim when you are ready to ETS, and HERE is a link to my spine claim repository. Here is the rating criteria for bladder incontinence:

38 CFR 4.115a

Voiding dysfunction:

Rate particular condition as urine leakage, frequency, or obstructed voiding.

Continual Urine Leakage, Post Surgical Urinary Diversion,

Urinary Incontinence, or Stress Incontinence:

Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing of absorbent

materials which must be changed more than 4 times per day 60

changed 2 to 4 times per day 40

changed less than 2 times per day 20

Thank you very much for the info, I see you add alot to help fellow vetrens. I should be seeing someone this week concerning bladder issue's. It has got worse as time progressed so hoping for the best out come. I will let you know what they say.