Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Dav Or Not To Dav?

Rate this question

cvsp

Question

Little background.

Had a local program with a VSO that is not longer available to me (she left). I have taken over my case and learned a lot (thanks to Hadit and the folks). I was in contact with the local DAV office last Monday. I was told to call back today as they were at a travel board. Called back today and found out I was assigned to someone there, but he was not in on Mondays, and Tuesdays he is doing something else. I can call him Wed-Fri.

So just to get initial contact I am looking at 10 days. Frustrating! Bringing me the the question, is there anything that the DAV rep can do that I can not? Can he look into the VA system? Get status? Walk to the raters desk?

I guess what I am asking is should I put another hurdle in the way? Would it be to my benefit?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cvsp

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Other thoughts.

As far as paper-work and other things that need to be done, I am willing to take that on.

I have heard that a DAV rep can do more then I can. Look into VA systems. Call the rater. Go visit the rater.

If these are true then I think I need to at least pick one up. Maybe even have him just to fall back on?

This all depends on if they really can do like I said above. Things I cannot do. Otherwise I see it as just another frustration.

I have had a VSO make calls to the RO for me..he has phone numbers I cant get..that are NOT the call center. I have also heard of Vets, who have an excellent VSO, say to the effect that they first found out they were denied or approved by the VSO. I am certain, however, that is not always the case.

I think this would be a good question to ask a potential VSO, and would suggest you "shop around".

One critical issue is how successful they are at representing you at the BVA. Berta can even tell you how to look up that information.

Some guys think they know more than what they do. I see this very frequently with computers and/ or the game of chess. And they mess both of them up. Really smart, successfull people realize they dont know it all and surround themselves with people knowledgeable on issues they are weak on.

Frankly, since you are not sure, I vote that you get a VSO. If you are really, really confident that you know more than 4 or 5 of your VSO's, like, say, Berta, then you are ready to go it alone. Otherwise,

maybe you should just sit in the co pilots seat, and take over the controls only if the pilot blows it.

I'm all for vets filing and doing their own claims. Leave out the middleman. You are the one with the most interest in your own claim and you will do the best work on it.

You've shown a knowledge of what needs to be done...there are many resources to guide you through the process step-by-step.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well I just hope I can keep my focus. My big question was the benefits of a DAV rep. I just noticed a post from Meddac where he mentioned that once you claim has been rated it is sent to your rep for review. Something that I could not get if I did it alone.

So I am seeing at least one benefit of having a DAV.

After reading Bronco's well put post. I am thinking I will go with the DAV. I just hope it does not mean that it will affect my claim timeline. I guess I can consult with the DAV rep. I went through C&P and someone already within the VARO added more claims to my claim.

Well I just hope I can keep my focus. My big question was the benefits of a DAV rep. I just noticed a post from Meddac where he mentioned that once you claim has been rated it is sent to your rep for review. Something that I could not get if I did it alone.

So I am seeing at least one benefit of having a DAV.

After reading Bronco's well put post. I am thinking I will go with the DAV. I just hope it does not mean that it will affect my claim timeline. I guess I can consult with the DAV rep. I went through C&P and someone already within the VARO added more claims to my claim.

Just be careful about going with a rep. Some of them work on a points system, and they will attempt to get you to claim additional issues or they will read into what you tell them and they will just claim additional issues. It happens a lot at my RO. I will call a veteran and start going over his claim, and find out that he doesn't want to alcim certain things. Usually they are things that are redundant to his/her original claim, and they have to be adjudicated separately even though they will not be rated as such.

As long as you are straight to the point of what you are claiming, that your claim is already "in process" , and that all you need is a rep, then your claim timeline should not be affected at all. DAV (or whoever you go with) will get to review and concur your decision prior to the award.

Don't get that confused with "they will make sure that you are getting what you deserve". Many of them look over the claim and make notes, and some of them don't have a clue what hey are looking at.

Thanks Meddac. As usually great information.

I just realized something. There was a local branch here that I used a VSO for this claim. They are no longer there. I am assuming that the VA will try to contact her about the review once it is rated. This will of course be a dead end and cause a delay. Great. I will see what the experts say here and talk to Iris tomorrow about it.

I learned from IRIS last week that someone added issues to my claim. These came about from the C&P (99% sure). I sure hope this does not delay my claim.

Edited by cvsp