Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Awarded Ssd

Rate this question

luv2fly

Question

Hello everyone! Last November VA awarded me 100% P/T for PTSD. I immediantely went to the local SS office and applied for SSD.They said a decision would take 4 months,but it only took 'em 2 1/2 months.I'm happy to report i've been awarded SSD based on PTSD.This will certainly make our lives a little easier and thanks for listening.Any questions? Please ask. Be glad to help if i can. Take care and best of luck to all!!

David

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello everyone! Last November VA awarded me 100% P/T for PTSD. I immediantely went to the local SS office and applied for SSD.They said a decision would take 4 months,but it only took 'em 2 1/2 months.I'm happy to report i've been awarded SSD based on PTSD.This will certainly make our lives a little easier and thanks for listening.Any questions? Please ask. Be glad to help if i can. Take care and best of luck to all!!

David

David,

Congrats! Was the paper work from the VA enough to get the social security award, or did you give them other documentation. I have also applied for SS, I provided them with my award letter from the VA, and had one interview with SS over the phone. It's been 3 months and have not herd anything. Can you give a short narritive on how you went about your claim with SS.

Thanks,

tanker31

Hi.......well they 'blitzed' me with enough detailed questionaires i'll tell ya that! But yeah, i sent 'em all my psych evals from VA and a private shrink plus group therapy notes,medication sheet,socilal worker's eval, plus a cogent and compelling statement in support of claim included coz at one point SS was just focusing solely on "anxiety attacks" in their questionaire rather than "core" PTSD symptoms,etc,so i let 'em know that wasn't right and also included my citation for valour so they could see just some of what i've been through not only in the military,but also of course what i and people close to me have been through in civilian life.

So i just let SS know that they were putting me at a disadvantage with all the focus solely on anxiety attacks etc.Don't know if it helped but i know it didn't hurt as much as having to go a lawyer would've.....lol.

BTW.....you can track your claim online.good luck!

David,

Congrats! Was the paper work from the VA enough to get the social security award, or did you give them other documentation. I have also applied for SS, I provided them with my award letter from the VA, and had one interview with SS over the phone. It's been 3 months and have not herd anything. Can you give a short narritive on how you went about your claim with SS.

Thanks,

tanker31

Guest Jim S.

David: You did right by pointing out, that they needed to look at the whole picture, any one thing, they can find reason to deny the claim, but when considered in combination with everything, they paint a very different story and much harder not to disapprove.

I suspect they did your claim the way they did mine. They were behind so the held a special session on the week-end to see which claims, on their merit could be approved and which ones needed more work.

We all know which catagory you fell into.

I have to say, theat the SS does a lot better job of looking at the whole picture and coming up with the correct decisions a lot better than the VA, hands down.

Best wishes and So Sorry at the same time, It was a bit of a shock to me when I got the letter, which stated I was TDIU by SS. I said to myself, what do I do now, I get paid just barely enough to pay my bills and have the luxury of being able to afford the extra phone line for my computor.

Jus make sure you keep up with your medical followups and make sure to document any increases in severety or medicne changes as to increases also. SS does and will check up on your progress in five to seven years. It's usually a formality, but if you can't show a continual history of your disability, they could cut you off.

Jim S. :)

David

Hi David-Congradulatrions! Glas to hear it. I too was turned down initally but I retained a SS lawyer and I got an "on the record decision" Problem is I don't know whether the judge decided in my favor or not. His assistant told my lawyer I will be getting a letter with the results but its been over a week and I still haven't got it. I'm anxious as hell to know the result and I remember you saying a claim status could be checked "on line"-I've searched the SSA site and can't find out where to look- Do you have a URL? Thanks in advance,

Duke