Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senate Adopts Budget Resolution Supporting Advance Appropriations For Va Medical Care

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Stand Up for Veterans Update

More Info

April 23, 2009 Senate Adopts Budget Resolution Supporting Advance Appropriations for VA Medical Care Congress moved one step closer to ensuring timely, predictable funding for veterans health care with the adoption of the Senate budget resolution. The Senate adopted a provision that supports the inclusion of advance appropriations for veterans medical care in the FY 2010 budget resolution on April 2. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) and VA Committee Chair Dan Akaka (D-HI) offered the amendment, which was agreed to by Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND) and approved without opposition. President Obama Publicly Reaffirms Campaign Promise to Support Advance Appropriations for Veterans Health Care President Obama publicly reaffirmed his support for advance appropriations for veterans health care, saying "the care our veterans receive should never be hindered by budget delays." President Obama reiterated his commitment in an April 9 meeting attended by wounded soldiers, Secretaries Gates and Shinseki and leaders from veterans service organizations including the DAV. As a presidential candidate, Obama stated that his administration would "...recommend passage of advance appropriation legislation for the FY 2010 appropriations cycle, instead of yearly continuing resolutions that lead to delays in hiring and facility construction." Obama also told VSO leaders in a private meeting that he was standing by this promise. Seattle Times Op-Ed: Ensure Timely, Best Care at VA Hospitals and Clinics In a Seattle Times op-ed published last week, former Washington State VA hospital directors Joseph Manley and Timothy Williams call on Congress to "...take the politics out of veterans health care for good by ensuring sufficient, timely and predictable funding through advance appropriations." Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Hearing to Discuss Advance Appropriations This Week On April 22, the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs held a hearing to discuss pending veterans health-related legislation. Included in the hearing will be discussions regarding the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act of 2009 (S. 423), legislation that would authorize advance appropriations for a veterans medical care programs.

About the Stand Up for Veterans Initiative

Stand Up for Veterans is an initiative of the Disabled American Veterans, an organization of 1.4 million disabled veterans who are focused on building better lives for disabled veterans and their families. The initiative seeks to find public policy solutions for all veterans, particularly those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, who have incurred devastating injuries and disabilities, including traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder and other psychological wounds of war. Please visit http://www.standup4vets.org/ to learn more about this effort.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks bipartisan that should help.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

What would really help is for VA to give me all my retirement pay and all my VA diability pay. Yes I know if you are rated at 40% you get zilch ! Then again if they had awarded my AO claim I would be able to forget some of my pains. Oh that's right I was stationed in Thailand @NKP on the Mekong.....silly me.....couldn' possibly have been exposed ! SORRY Senior Moment.