Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awkward

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

Most of you know that I have been unemployed since November. However, I was still clicking away at job applications while my claims were sorted out. The economy stinks and the job market, especially for a disabled veterans stinks.

One of my pet peeves in this world is Veterans Preference and how, from past experience, does not help veterans land jobs or get their foot in the door. The Federal Hiring process is a big joke, full of nepotism, lies, lacks transparency, and down right dishonest.

After years and hundreds of applications to numerous federal agencies, I got a hit and landed an upcoming job interview in another state. It is for a very good position.

Anyone want to guess which agency it is....????

Yup, The Veterans Adminstration, our buddy.

I had doubts on even going and is concerned about the exposure. Based on the contact so far, I get the feeling that someone is finally using Vets Pref and applying the laws, but the hiring folks might not like that. Before I became disabled, I held a good career in the private sector. I feel awkward if they would ask about my disability. I think if that came to that question, I would have to apply the confidential medical records statue. But you know, these clowns can simply pull that up on the computer.

Any thoughts?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It has been my experience that even federal jobs (Post Office) can use your sc disabilities against you, we had a Postmaster that demanded letters from our doctors that our sc medical problems would not in any way interfere with our ability to do any of the work expected of a letter carrier, the carriers that could not get letters stating their would not be any problems were terminated. Was it legal probably not, did the unions stick up for the affected employees no, I was gone because of my stress levels and after my 7th heart attack so I don't know if any of the terminated employees got their jobs back thru the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) I used just the threat of a NLRB complaint against a company called SITEL that had a major contract with AOL when they tried to terminate me when I had used my vets preference (Vietnam Era) to get hired, they thought about it for all of about 30 seconds they had changed the way they crunched production numbers and the week I went on vacation my numbers looked like chit, and 2 days after coming back from vacation they walked me out the door, the meeting with Human Resources and the Plant manager was held 2 days later, I was back to work at 4 om the same day, I don't know who was more shocked the shift manager who had walked me out 2 days before of my co workers lol. I know when they sent the AOL contract to India they messed with everyone elses unemployment checks that refused to transfer to a telemarketers position I refused to be a telemarketer, they fought my wifes unemployment but not mine she beat them to half the time they don't use the rules right.

I would take the interview, they know what they are dealing with and the VA hires a lot of SC vets, they won't have you lifting crates of files if the docs say you can't do it. Sometimes we have to move to where we can find work, even for the government. They should have great benefits.

First off, thank you to everyone who contributed with their awesome advice, genuine concerns, and their shared purpose for making all our cause ,..... the same.

For those fellow Vets that did benefit for VP, I am very happy for you.

My emotions are of reluctance, my shoulders are shrugged, I've been thru this position numerous times before, but this is my first Federal Job interview. From my past experience in the Federal Hiring process, I remain skeptical, unsure, concluded on the outcome.... but I am not at the hopeless point. Typically after being notified that I am qualified according to OPM's guildlines, I would typically receive an email that the position has been unexpectingly "cancelled".

Do I want this job??? Yes. Do I need his job???.... Maybe. Shall I be insulted or played with?? ..... NO

To fully understand my personal opinion on Veterans Preference, I feel confident to still say the Federal Hiring practice needs a major revamp.

I don't want to sound like " THE ANGRY VETERAN ", ... but all I want is for the system to be fair, to give an opportunity to simply have an interview. Why do you think on of the major reasons why the government is so bad? It is because they are so stacked with unqualified people.

This does not mean that VF does work accross the board, I am saying that it is most likely that shady things are going on in the hiring process. For the past 5 years, I have involved myself in various experiments to conclude that the tools, agenda, and methods to hire Vets in the Federal Sector is not working. Though there might be thousands of applicants to one position, and if that position fits me exactly to my qualification, and I get 10 points added, I sure would like to know if indeed a fellow disabled veteran beats me. That, I will never have a problem with. Right now, there is no transparency in the process. This competitive process is done behind a curtain and perhaps thru secrecy. Congress enacted the 10 point preference as a response to a grateful nation.... How grateful are they when no industry respects it????

What ever happened to the old days where you are almost garanteed a postal position after your service? Well, its gone.

With good spirits in hand and a valid resume, I will attend this job interview.

In addition, I am also attending my local congressional meeting on Veterans issues next week. Along with key deligates involved in Veterans issues, Secretary Sinsecki of VA may also be there. I will surely express my concerns then.

Again folks, thank you for your help.

Iraq,

I know you feeling I retired in 1997 on PDRL, applied for 267 Federal IT jobs that in different angencies. Had a couple interviews nothing know I shoud of had it because in the civilian market place people were loving me and stayed there at a couple major comapanies hired tight after the interview.

Where I am now I have been an IT contractor for them 6 years, so they used the veteran special hiring authority to get me on. Funny thing is now I am about beat and may have to stop working can't take much more. Even thogh they make sure I have all the special accomadations that they can get for me. Don lift anyhing over 5 lbs. But the stress is what gets me. There are a lot more openings coming uu because they found out it is not cheap to hire contractors, no way how they try to justify it. By hiring me they are saving 60K annual.

So go to the inteview be positive that you are hired, because you have alot going for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

federal agencies that test for positions like the post office must maintain hiring lists based on the test scores they are required to hire and interview from the top of the list now most 10 point veterans can NOT handle the physical aspects of walking 20 miles a day with with a mail satchel on their shoulder with 40 pounds of mail in it and handle thre different bundles of mail (letters, magazines and adverstising circulars) at the same time then there were my favortite hires they wanted "part time work only" when you hire in at the Post Office it is called a Part Time Flexible which means they can work you 80 hours a week and abuse the hell out of you, now that they have to pay triple time for all hours over 60 they have quit this, but they didn't use to have to pay triple time this old AF equivalent CSM just wanted 20 hours a week to help with the kids college money and he didn't know mailmen had to sort their own mail he thought mailmen just drived down the street putting mail in mail boxes, he lasted about 2 weeks, that was in 1984.

Bottom line is they must maintain these lsits for 2 years and you can write the list holder usually the Human resoureces department and ask for a years extension I was hired in the first group once they weeded out the 10 point vets, my 5 points and my test score of 99.5 put me at 104.5 and the 3rd highest score out of 18,000 people that took the postal carrier test in San Bernadino and you could select 3 cities where you wanted to work in the region, I chose Riverside, Redlands and Moreno valley, Riverside hired me. My mom, my step father and my brother worked there, my last name was different to it drove the Postmaster nuts trying to find "mickey's boy" I was there a month before he learned it was me, because one of our new PTFs got in an accident at Arlington station and my mom was frantic thinking it was me, he hated me worse when I became a shop steward for Branch 1100 at Arlington Station and even more when I became an Area Shop Steward for 13 cities in Southern California, he was ecstatic when I transferred to Augusta Ga in 1985.

Go for the job, if you don't like it you can quit many have....