VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advise

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

I am a Vietnam Marine combat veteran, have been struggeling with PTSD since 1968, self medicated like a lot of us did, though it was just me. Finally went to VAMC for other medical problems and the primary doctor sent me to the PCT clinic where I was diagnosed with PTSD, have all the symptoms and problems that go with it, trouble sleeping, flashbacks, violent temper, sustance abuse (now sober). Put in claim for Tinninitus and hearing loss last December and PTSD last month. VAMA shrink tells me I need therapy and I can choose between residential @ 4 weeks or outpatient @ 12 weeks, I told them residential. Now they're telling me there is a long waiting list for residential and they want me to go through the out patient 12 week program, they claim the out patient program is just as effective and they tell me they are afraid I wouldn't stay in the residence program due to the daily intensity of the program. Any ideas from anyone who has been through either program what may be the better option for my mental health and my PTSD claim?? I would appreciate any assistance given. This is the very first time I have asked for VA help since returning home from Vietnam in 68. Thanls for you help!!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all welcome to Hadit and thank you for serving our Country.

I did the residential 28 day in Dallas 1991. I was sober at the time thank God and had stopped drinking in 1982 during the NFL Football Strike.

It was what it was AA Meetings and we would line up at 7 AM and see the Docs. They would also schedule other stuff. If you need any dental work ask for a consult to see Dentist as there is no charge while you are in Hospital

I believe that either program will help your claim. Be sure and file for Service Connection. You will need some stuff to give to the VA. If you had a combat MOS or were awarded combat decorations like purple heart or bronze star with valor CIB Badge the VA will take your word on stuff but you still need to show a stressor that they can verify.

You are on your way and good luck.

Pete

100% Service Connected Panic disorder with agoraphobia.