Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

 Ask Your VA Claims Question  

 Read Current Posts 

  Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Need Advise

Rate this question



I am a Vietnam Marine combat veteran, have been struggeling with PTSD since 1968, self medicated like a lot of us did, though it was just me. Finally went to VAMC for other medical problems and the primary doctor sent me to the PCT clinic where I was diagnosed with PTSD, have all the symptoms and problems that go with it, trouble sleeping, flashbacks, violent temper, sustance abuse (now sober). Put in claim for Tinninitus and hearing loss last December and PTSD last month. VAMA shrink tells me I need therapy and I can choose between residential @ 4 weeks or outpatient @ 12 weeks, I told them residential. Now they're telling me there is a long waiting list for residential and they want me to go through the out patient 12 week program, they claim the out patient program is just as effective and they tell me they are afraid I wouldn't stay in the residence program due to the daily intensity of the program. Any ideas from anyone who has been through either program what may be the better option for my mental health and my PTSD claim?? I would appreciate any assistance given. This is the very first time I have asked for VA help since returning home from Vietnam in 68. Thanls for you help!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

First of all welcome to Hadit and thank you for serving our Country.

I did the residential 28 day in Dallas 1991. I was sober at the time thank God and had stopped drinking in 1982 during the NFL Football Strike.

It was what it was AA Meetings and we would line up at 7 AM and see the Docs. They would also schedule other stuff. If you need any dental work ask for a consult to see Dentist as there is no charge while you are in Hospital

I believe that either program will help your claim. Be sure and file for Service Connection. You will need some stuff to give to the VA. If you had a combat MOS or were awarded combat decorations like purple heart or bronze star with valor CIB Badge the VA will take your word on stuff but you still need to show a stressor that they can verify.

You are on your way and good luck.


100% Service Connected Panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use