VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do You Communicate With Va Health Team?

Rate this topic

I'm new to the VA health care system. How do you communicate with your primary care team between appointments? I've tried calling the nurse. Leaving a voice mail message is a bad way to communicate any way. Get stage fright as soon as I hear the beep.

This is the second time I've called and left a message for my Team Nurse at the VA outpatient clinic and no response. The first time was because I switched from my pvt meds to the VA meds all at once and that put my numbers out of whack. BP, pulse and blood sugar. I left a total of 3 messages. After about 1 1/2 wks I switched back to my pvt meds to get my numbers back down. After 3 weeks she finally returns my call and I report that I made the switch. I found out later that she made a note in my file that I'm non-compliant because the PCP said I shouldn't be on metformin(one of my pvt meds). Never did get back to me with new orders from the PCP.

This second call is now over a week old. Should I just follow the orders of my pvt doctor and nod my head and say thank you when I make the VA appointments? That way I can get my VA meds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, if you relie on your private doctor just go along with the VA program. I complained about the side effects of a VA pain med, and they put me through about 6 months having to drive to the VAMC and get my meds in person. Now I don't complain about anything. You could try and get another PCP. I don't know if that will work. My PCP is pretty good, but the pain clinic is awful.

Yes, if you relie on your private doctor just go along with the VA program. I complained about the side effects of a VA pain med, and they put me through about 6 months having to drive to the VAMC and get my meds in person. Now I don't complain about anything. You could try and get another PCP. I don't know if that will work. My PCP is pretty good, but the pain clinic is awful.

Thanks John999. I think I'll follow your advice. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep insurance until I qualify for Medicare. It just seems a shame that it has to be that way.

Dave

I'm new to the VA health care system. How do you communicate with your primary care team between appointments? I've tried calling the nurse. Leaving a voice mail message is a bad way to communicate any way. Get stage fright as soon as I hear the beep.

This is the second time I've called and left a message for my Team Nurse at the VA outpatient clinic and no response. The first time was because I switched from my pvt meds to the VA meds all at once and that put my numbers out of whack. BP, pulse and blood sugar. I left a total of 3 messages. After about 1 1/2 wks I switched back to my pvt meds to get my numbers back down. After 3 weeks she finally returns my call and I report that I made the switch. I found out later that she made a note in my file that I'm non-compliant because the PCP said I shouldn't be on metformin(one of my pvt meds). Never did get back to me with new orders from the PCP.

This second call is now over a week old. Should I just follow the orders of my pvt doctor and nod my head and say thank you when I make the VA appointments? That way I can get my VA meds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

I had a similar problem once and complained to the service rep, she looked at the messages sent and said they were not sent correctly.They did not specify that I wanted a call back. Since then I tell the call center that I want my doctor to call me back and he has every time. Try this next time it worked for me.

Bergie