Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vision Impairment

Rate this question

*Bergie*

Question

Does anyone know if you can file for vision impairment. The reason I ask is because when I was at the DAV the other day and asked they said you cannot get service connection for vision claims. I told the person that I was diagnosed as needing glasses while on active duty did'nt need them prior to active duty. I also asked then why are there listings for visual impairment in the Title 38 regs. Was not given a very good answer.

Thanks,

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I really don't know, but would think that vision is one of those things that just "goes bad" with age...unless it's associated with an eye injury. But I'm not speaking from any kind of experience here...just a HUGE guess.

you would probably have to show some kind of reason why your active duty service caused vision loss.

If your service connected condiation caused the vision loss, then that can be rated seperately.

In my case, diabetes = service connected - that led to diabetic retinopathy = hopefully an increased vision loss rating.

Eric

Does anyone know if you can file for vision impairment. The reason I ask is because when I was at the DAV the other day and asked they said you cannot get service connection for vision claims. I told the person that I was diagnosed as needing glasses while on active duty did'nt need them prior to active duty. I also asked then why are there listings for visual impairment in the Title 38 regs. Was not given a very good answer.

Thanks,

Bergie

[/quote

Thank you for the info I was just curious to see what you guys had to say, I tend to believe the people he at Hadit more than the VA or DAV.

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

I am far from the last word here but can give you some thoughts.

Does anyone know if you can file for vision impairment. The reason I ask is because when I was at the DAV the other day and asked they said you cannot get service connection for vision claims. I told the person that I was diagnosed as needing glasses while on active duty didn't need them prior to active duty. I also asked then why are there listings for visual impairment in the Title 38 regs. Was not given a very good answer.

Thanks,

Bergie

I told the person that I was diagnosed as needing glasses while on active duty didn't need them prior to active duty.

That is basically considered natural deterioration. I had them tell me the same thing about my hearing but I was in the artillery. I won that claim.

I also asked then why are there listings for visual impairment in the Title 38 regs.

That's easy. There are all manner of injuries that may occur to the eyes. Also diseases or conditions brought about by a particular type of service, welding say.

On that note, did your service promote any consistent eyestrain? Clerk maybe? If you can identify a connection to your military service and, provide a nexus to it. You might could give it a go.