Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have A Bit Of A Delima

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

I don't know if others like myself have this problem or not. I was a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy and for a very brief time an EMT II after service, but it was quickly apparent that my psych problems made handling stress to difficult to continue working with people under life and death situations.

However, it did not keep people refering to me with the slang title of "DOC". I know it is the way our fellow service men and women honor our contribution to their medical needs and it is easier to remember "Doc" than our names, but I am no longer in that line of work and have not stayed in the field of medicine or Emergency care, yet people still look to me, even in my wheel chair, knowing who and what I did in the service, when someone is injured or sick and in need of immediate assistance.

I no longer have the skill set nor psychy to deal with these kinds of situations. It's hard enough for me to deal with my own inadequacies in this area, but to tell people I no longer can help makes me feel worse than those standing around not knowing what to do, other than call 911.

I don't want to come across as if I don't care or don't want to help or get involved, but I just can't is all.

It's not that I don't like being refered to as "DOC" I was proud and felt appreciated by those under my care, especially during my time at sea, when it was me they looked to when they were in need. I even wear a Vest that displays a medic cadusa on it and plan to have a banner added to the back reading Hospital Corpsman to go along with the Navy banner on it now. I want people to know I am a Vet each and every time I go out in public, if anything it keeps the public knowing that not every serviceman, having been in combat or not, come away from the service all healthy and wise.

Man I got to find some medication I can take, another couple of days and nights like this, ragging all the time isn't doing my health any good. My blood pressure, which was dangerously down, is now dangerously up, my anxiety is way up, my mood is in the celler, my pain, well, I'm just glad my OxyC repfill came today

Well my stomach is telling me it's past my dinner time so I better do something about it or I won't be able to keep my energy up to help me get through this unusual bad time.

Rockhound Rider ;)

Edited by Rockhound

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Rock,

Just keep hanging in there and stay as healthy as you can.

We like it when the VA has to pay us for several more decades !

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

Doc is a nickname that you earned. If people call you Doc and you know that they are talking to you so what?

My wife has a nick name only people who are very close are allowed to use. Of course I have a nickname for her.. I call her the Warden. She usually laughs when I say it.I also call her honey when I feel affectionate.

Now that she is a Grand Mother she is Mimi and I am Papa. We picked our nickname before our oldest Grand Daughter learned to talk.

So if your Service buddies called you Doc than you earned it. Just my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.