VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do They Rate You When Awarded Housing Grant Options V V Track This Topic V Email This Topic V Print This Topic V Download This Topic V Subscri

Rate this question

Dorothy Kansas

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dorothy:

Today I met with Voc Rehab to discuss Quality of Life and improvements on my home that will help me stay in my home. I was surprised at how willing and nice the Counselor was. I have another meeting that will be used and within a month from Friday I am supposed to have a contractor visit my home.

I feel good that I will at least get a remodel of my bathroom to take out sunken tub and replace with a walk in shower. He also said that he will look at replacing my 13 year old central air.

He told me that he would probably help get the 4100 dollar grant and Voc Rehab would pay the difference. He told me that from my interview today he was pretty sure that the VA will help.

I hope that I did not take your question to far off topic as I think that this program is very valuable and under utilized by Veterans. It appears that the program are designed for quality of life and also independence

Hi Fellow Vets

When you have been awarded special adapted housing do they rate you for the loss of use separately

Do they award you a K award for loss of use or do you get the higher L award for loss of use both feet/lower extremities.

Dorothy,

I was rated with loss of use of my foot, and also had organic disease of the spine. I was given a K award. It will depend on the reason for loss of use as to what the va awards. I was rated under the old system for my back injury which did not allow for seperate ratings of the siatica nerve or loss of use of the foot which were due to the back injury. Today it it were rated I would receive seperate ratings, but a singel 60% rating is better than three 20% ratings so I will not request a review.

The adaptive housing grant will only be awarded after you have a rating of loss of use. In my case I required a seperate C/P exam to get the award. The grant made my life eaiser, with the new bathroom, and I also had an additional room, and screened in prorch added to the house. It was great. I since moved and am really having a hard time with the bathroom. I know that voc rehab will take care of me if I ask for it, but I am not sure if I will remain in the house that I am in and don't wante to waste any funds....

Anyway,,,, I hope this answers your question.

I was awarded special adapted housing but they never addressed the loss of use or my entitlement to smc for loss of use of lower extremities. I am finding ou tthat some vet's are getting cheated out of this smc. I have written several key people and they tell to just write the letter but they are destroying my letters or not logging them in.