VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Content

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello Vets,

I'm in the process of establishing Persumptive SC from a back injury suffered in 1995 while deployed. At the time I thought it was just a sore muscle so I didn't go to the medics and report it. (I know I've learned my lesson!) Anyway what I had was a ruptured disc that required surgery just 2 months later. It was determined that I was no longer world wide qualified in Nov. 1996 and I was discharged Jan 97. Of course when I was turned down it was because I couldn't prove SC.

My case was recently remanded back to the RO for another C&P exam, which hasn't been scheduled yet. My neurosurgeon told me he would be happy to write a IMO for me. He stated that the way I described the incident causing the injury coupled with the type of disc herniation and the timeline leaves very little doubt in his opinion that it was SC.

In 1998 they had to fuse the same lumbar location. Pain has persisted and it's due to nerve root damage that he states probably occurred at the time of injury. The nerve damage is agravated by walking, standing or sitting for any length of time. I had to stop working in 2000 and was awarded SSID. I have had two other lumbar spine surgeries and five cervical fusions since, all due to chronic Degenerative Disc Disease and Spondylosis that has spread through my spine.

My questions: On the IMO, should the Dr. list any of the other surgeries on my spine on this IMO or wait to see if I get SC, and then list them when I get rated?

Next, Is it better to go ahead and mail the IMO as soon as I get it or take it with me when I go for the exam later?

Do you think I have a chance???

Thanks for your input, Blackbird

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Prior to Service I had no medical records and I would hazard to say that would be true for a large majority of very young soldiers. My first Medical exam except for physicals that cleared me to play sports in school did not exist.My first Medical Exam was my entrance physical.

Well I got hurt alot, I was the youngest of four.. and my older brothers never factored in that I was 8 years younger.