VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd

Rate this question

Shark

Question

What is the rating code for GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease)?

Edited by Shark

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I may be wrong and someone else can chime in and correct me but I think is falls under:

7346 Hernia hiatal:

Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss

and hematemesis or melena with moderate

anemia; or other symptom combinations productive

of severe impairment of health ............ 60

Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with

dysphagia, pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied

by substernal or arm or shoulder pain,

productive of considerable impairment of

health ................................................................ 30

With two or more of the symptoms for the 30

percent evaluation of less severity ................... 10

Hope this helps

Pete,

I believe you are wrong. A hiatal hernia can contribute, but it is not the cause. A hiatal hernia is when the stomach is pushing through the sphincter ( sorry if not 100% medically accurate, but you get the idea ).

GERD involves acid production and the actual operation of the stomach and the operation of the sphincter.

I have both.. my dad had both.. most with GERD do, but not all. The real question is how does the VA treat it?? I would assume whichever way benefits them, if you linked the two conditions, then SC would be easier. GERD as a stand alone stomach condition would be harder to SC, because a stomach issue could be written off as hereditary. Just my opinion.

Pete,

I believe you are wrong. A hiatal hernia can contribute, but it is not the cause. A hiatal hernia is when the stomach is pushing through the sphincter ( sorry if not 100% medically accurate, but you get the idea ).

GERD involves acid production and the actual operation of the stomach and the operation of the sphincter.

I have both.. my dad had both.. most with GERD do, but not all. The real question is how does the VA treat it?? I would assume whichever way benefits them, if you linked the two conditions, then SC would be easier. GERD as a stand alone stomach condition would be harder to SC, because a stomach issue could be written off as hereditary. Just my opinion.

Oh and the VA attributes most of GERD to diet and exercise,..

airborne,

Shark asked

What is the rating code for GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease)?

I was rated as DUODENITIS, GERD what I posted was not my opinion or what causes GERD but how VA rates it and the rating code. keep in mind when filing a claim If a person is first diagnosed with a condition while on active duty. S/He can be awarded service connection, hereditary or not. The key words are " first Diagnosed while on active duty." GERD is a very common disorder but if he can prove he was treated for stomach conditions on active duty it can be service connected it is a ratable condition. Again not my opinion but one of my service connected disorders

GERD vets should not overlook that meds they take for a different SC condition can be found to cause GERD:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0902694.txt

A vet can raise any potential reason, or etiology or nexus they can-for service connection.