Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reconsideration Denied For Sciatica?

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

Well rated 10% for sciaticia of left lower extremity secondary to ddd. i dont understand why i was not rated at 20 or 40 percent? this condition is very hard to rate and understand from 10 percent to 40 percent ..after that it easier muscle atrophy and foot drop... how do they rated this i dont understand it really the only condition that i dont understand and gives the rater to much leave way////

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I feel your pain I was rated 10% for left leg and10% right leg sciata nerve, I called it neuroapthy they called it radiculapothy, It took me a year of refiling every 3 months after getting denied that i was granted 40% per leg. I would refile denial refile denial refile increase.

I feel your pain I was rated 10% for left leg and10% right leg sciata nerve, I called it neuroapthy they called it radiculapothy, It took me a year of refiling every 3 months after getting denied that i was granted 40% per leg. I would refile denial refile denial refile increase.

yea how did they say u deserved a higher rating? what changed their minds? what got worse? i dont understand i mean i had a emg it said very severe and i have no knee refulex and i cant fill the front part of my whole leg. i have pain.....i know i need to complain more about the pain bc i usually suck it up or forget when i go to my appt..

Thats the whole thing i had no new evidence I just kept refiling after i would get denied and then finally i got a statment letter saying i was going from 60 to 90. I guess they got tired of seeing my face.

Well rated 10% for sciaticia of left lower extremity secondary to ddd. i dont understand why i was not rated at 20 or 40 percent? this condition is very hard to rate and understand from 10 percent to 40 percent ..after that it easier muscle atrophy and foot drop... how do they rated this i dont understand it really the only condition that i dont understand and gives the rater to much leave way////

How about being ignored completely? My original claim asked for evaluation of sciatica. It was never even mentioned. I was originally told it was lumped into my back. Found out 12 years later that I have a serious CUE, they should have given me a rating because it was specifically requested as a separate disability.

Any one with sciatica/radiculopathy/neuropathy knows the excruciating pain and the on and off symptoms. Just don't move the wrong way or you'll end up on the floor! It's extremely difficult when you go to the Dr and your flare ups are down or medicated....

I had an EMG at the VA. They couldn't get a nerve reaction so they made one! Literally there was nothing, so 2 tech's came in and started pushing on my leg and foot to create a response. I questioned it, but they said it was normal. I stated that there was no way that is a normal response when you are creating it. I was so mad...that EMG the tech put in my records "normal". I wrote a statement for my file against it!

Anyway I eventually ended up with a 20%, doubt I'll ever get more than that. I have intense physical therapy to keep from having any atrophy.

Good Luck with your NOD's...!

How about being ignored completely? My original claim asked for evaluation of sciatica. It was never even mentioned. I was originally told it was lumped into my back. Found out 12 years later that I have a serious CUE, they should have given me a rating because it was specifically requested as a separate disability.

Any one with sciatica/radiculopathy/neuropathy knows the excruciating pain and the on and off symptoms. Just don't move the wrong way or you'll end up on the floor! It's extremely difficult when you go to the Dr and your flare ups are down or medicated....

I had an EMG at the VA. They couldn't get a nerve reaction so they made one! Literally there was nothing, so 2 tech's came in and started pushing on my leg and foot to create a response. I questioned it, but they said it was normal. I stated that there was no way that is a normal response when you are creating it. I was so mad...that EMG the tech put in my records "normal". I wrote a statement for my file against it!

Anyway I eventually ended up with a 20%, doubt I'll ever get more than that. I have intense physical therapy to keep from having any atrophy.

Good Luck with your NOD's...!

well mine said very severe i dont know if you know the scale they rate it on but mine was a 9.90 on all three toes on the left side....now i know if it all sensory the va will only rate u at 10 percent but i have pain and i can hardly stand up or bend?