Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who Gives Gaf Scoes?

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

I am just now claiming depression ,but who gives you a gaf score? is it only given at c and p exams? i never gotten one even though i go to a va

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are you sure the findings from the MMPI are objective? I just had this done last week so that's why i'm asking.

Thanks, Frank

Any mental health professional can assign a GAF score to a client. It is a subjective rating system (as opposed, say, to a standardized test like MMPI).

http://www.ptsdsupport.net/ptsd_gafscores.html

Explains the rating scheme.

My scores have been most interesting, but pretty useless.

A high score wouldn't reflect my issues, but a low score wouldn't fit my successes.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett

Frank

oh i understand a lot more know..my theripist or phy dr only says 296.31 and 296.32 it the diagnostic code for major depression..one is mild the other is moderate....it confusing how it changed from my last visit???????? is it common for them to change it each time????from mild to moderate??????

I give you a GAF score...How are you feeling today?

Basically that's all it winds down too. If you tell your doc you're feeling OK then your GAF will probably be high. If you tell them you been having a lot of suicidal thoughts and don't feel like living any more then that will probably prompt a low score. Also, if you are exhibiting confusion and anxiety that will affect it too. I don't like the way these GAF's get thrown around since you can go to two shrinks in the same day and they will both likely give you different scores. It's all subjective and VA can get their own examiners to give higher scores for their own benefit. Just another way for the VA to screw you.

Frank

I am just now claiming depression ,but who gives you a gaf score? is it only given at c and p exams? i never gotten one even though i go to a va

I've had several therapists who used to assign GAF scores at the VA. I believe they just use a dartboard....it's extremely useless. I'm out of breathe saying how useless it is. Same with any kind of testing...including the MMPI. Depending on your mood, how you feel physically, etc...your answers can vary from day to day, week to week, etc making the data somewhat worthless.

Medical records and facts are what you need to get you your rating.

YEP YEP, nothing is better evidence than your medical record HISTORY and OBJECTIVE facts.

But then again, Mental illness can't be physically seen as compared to lost limb or cancer. Even when doctors put in objective notes they are being "subjective in their objectivity"...LOL

Don't mean to confuse, I just have a different way of thinking on this. A doctor seeing a patient frowning will probably put down "objectively" the patient looks depressed. Or if the doctor sees the patient twitching he may put down "objectively" the patient is showing anxiety and nervousness.

To me it all winds up being subjective in the end but that's just my psychoanalytic way of thinking. I know, I think way too much and sometimes argue with my own thoughts. LOL

Like Purple said, Establishing a history of symptoms is the best evidence. VA has too hard of time getting around that one. Oh, and exams too. Always give them your worst day. That's a big one for you newbies.

Frank

I've had several therapists who used to assign GAF scores at the VA. I believe they just use a dartboard....it's extremely useless. I'm out of breathe saying how useless it is. Same with any kind of testing...including the MMPI. Depending on your mood, how you feel physically, etc...your answers can vary from day to day, week to week, etc making the data somewhat worthless.

Medical records and facts are what you need to get you your rating.

There are many things that can be objective in mental health records. Lack of the ability to maintain employment, lack of the ability to function in society, hospitalizations, suicide attempts (I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS!!!!!), etc. All of these things when combined with the notes and observations of a doc (or more than one doc) form hard medical evidence.