Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Denial From Va;odd Wording;workin On Nod Draft

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, got the denial, applied for ptsd compensation early December, got denied notice today' fast work eh? I had more details to submit and am now fine tuning them, so that okay. HOwever, there is an odd sentence that doesnt seem to apply - wanna hear?

quote unquote "Review of your VA treatment records show provisional diagnosis of rule out ptsd on the basis of your subjective reports of traumatic experience upon ptsd screen. Your most recent health treatment record in Jan 2006 fails to show diagnosis of ptsd with diagnosis of depression found."

Can't make heads or tails of "diagnosis of rule out ptsd on the basis of your subjective reprots..." Also I didnt recieve a "specific" appointment or exam for ptsd only, I believe I should have been told that an appointment is for a purpose, right? Wasn't told I was being diagnosed or anything particular just regular discussion appointment, how life goes etc.

Feedback ideas?

Thanks, cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

cowgirl,

I have to wonder if they are contesting the diagnosis because the doctor had no verification of the stressor other than your subjective statements that a significant stressful event occured. If this is the case and you have other reports or records that the doctor can review and base the decision on such review, then you could re-establish the stressor. The doctors reports have to be specific as to how they made the diagnosis.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

True, I do need to request a C&P; how do I do that? Do I do that when I appeal and submit new information, or do I request a C&P by seperate letter before I submit all the documentation? I have a few loose ends to tie up, civilian medical diagnosis opinion and a official report from another state.

Again, thanks, I am quite stressed and trying very hard to maintain. Service connection is important to the real issues and trauma that I and others have endured.

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

I believe a GOOD civilian psychiatrist goes a LONG way to helping these types of cases. Try to find a psych. that specializes in anxiety disorders (specifically PTSD if possible) and make sure said doctor is proficient in dealing with government red tape (some doctors have extensive knowledge with either VA cases, SS cases and/or other legal issues surrounding severe psychiatric disroders).

With that said, you should still pursue the C&P and gather all the info you can. Personal accounts such as daily logs can also help (or letters from friends/relatives that cite the severity of your problems).

P.S. - When finding a civilian psych. try to pay out of pocket if at all possible...not only will you get an appointment MUCH faster, but you'll also be able to pick the best doctor and that doctor will b more willing to put in the extra effort into your claim (they LOVE cash clients). I pay for my wief's psych out of pocket because he is one of the few that specializes in PTSD in this area...he is expensive, but he is also willing to work with us and we typically only schedule appointments for every 2-3 months (which means about 60/mnth worth of costs out of our pocket).

Guest Berta

Yes- good advise-

because what I see here is that the VA is questioning your lack of PTSD diagnosis.

If you have civilian medical evidence -or if you can get this from a private shrink- as to a clear cut PTSD diagnosis- that would satisfy them unless they are going to give you a C & P-based on your request for one-

also

"One more question if you don't mind; Is there a way the VA chooses to verify a incident/stressor by contacting the "other person"? Namely in my case I have no wishes to contact or be contacted by traumatic"

The VA will need bonafide proof of the stressor.

Is evidence of it in your SMRs or personnel records?

Did this "other person"'s involvement create a record with MPs, or with a reprimand , Capt's mast etc?

Were there any eye witnesses to this stressor?

Did it affect others in your unit in some way- who could give you buddy statements?

Yes- good advise-

because what I see here is that the VA is questioning your lack of PTSD diagnosis.

If you have civilian medical evidence -or if you can get this from a private shrink- as to a clear cut PTSD diagnosis- that would satisfy them unless they are going to give you a C & P-based on your request for one-

also

"One more question if you don't mind; Is there a way the VA chooses to verify a incident/stressor by contacting the "other person"? Namely in my case I have no wishes to contact or be contacted by traumatic"

The VA will need bonafide proof of the stressor.

Is evidence of it in your SMRs or personnel records?

Did this "other person"'s involvement create a record with MPs, or with a reprimand , Capt's mast etc?

Were there any eye witnesses to this stressor?

Did it affect others in your unit in some way- who could give you buddy statements?

RESPONSE: The VA uses a template with about 6 questions which your primary care or any provider might have unknowingly filled out on you. If the results of the PTSD screen are Positive or unequivicol - then they sched you for a Psych appointment and rule out PTSD. The practitioner should have asked more questions. I used to work in the VA MH section so I know that some people get lazy. They fill out the form because it;s a requirement. Go in there complaining of the symptoms you are experiencing and ask if you have PTSD with depression or just PTSD? A lot of folks with PTSD also have depression but they have to put the diagnosis at the end of the report Like you see below. Then they have to code it correctly on another screen.

So - go back and fight the issue!

Axis I PTSD, Depression (example)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Star, good to have the inside view on how it goes. I will be kind but clear at my next pysch appointment. hopefully this coming week or so. I will ask for clarity. I will post on how it goes, I am anxious to get the data in but want ot make it detailed enough to work well the first time.