VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Get C-file Updated With New Documentaion

Rate this question

autumn

Question

I have had new tests & exams performed over the last two years and only one made it to my C-File. I realized this when the VSO at the PVA told me nothing has changed so nothing he could do. He is looking at old data.

How do I ensure the latest test results, MRIs, etc get in my C-File?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

The following post should help explain a little:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/lofiversion/in...php/t29108.html

As far as getting your c-file updated to reflect current information in your medical records, you have some options:

1. Send your VARO a 21-4138 requesting that they update your c-file.

2. Obtain and send copies of your Medical Record to your VARO, by certified mail, to be added to your c-file.

3. Obtain copies of your Medical Records and go to your VARO, handing them off in person, and requesting receipt.

I have listed the options in what I think the worst to best ways to do it are. Option 1 just gives them too much work to do. Option 2 still has the possibility of paperwork being 'lost' (I have never had a problem with this). Option 3 would be very hard for the VA to refute, but they would probably try.

Just my opinion...

The following post should help explain a little:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/lofiversion/in...php/t29108.html

As far as getting your c-file updated to reflect current information in your medical records, you have some options:

1. Send your VARO a 21-4138 requesting that they update your c-file.

2. Obtain and send copies of your Medical Record to your VARO, by certified mail, to be added to your c-file.

3. Obtain copies of your Medical Records and go to your VARO, handing them off in person, and requesting receipt.

I have listed the options in what I think the worst to best ways to do it are. Option 1 just gives them too much work to do. Option 2 still has the possibility of paperwork being 'lost' (I have never had a problem with this). Option 3 would be very hard for the VA to refute, but they would probably try.

Just my opinion...

I will do 3 because i have the paperwork.

The C-file, is that different than the VA medical records a doctor sees on the computer screen in the office?

Your c-file is a repository of documents that have been gathered in support of your original claim, and any other actions i.e. Notice of Disagreement, Request for Reconsideration, Appeal, Increase in Rating, etc... The documents can be obtained by you and submitted, or you can give the VA Release of Information forms for them to obtain the information or your c-file.

You are allowed to get a copy of your entire c-file free once. After that, you can only get updates for free.

What the doctor sees on the computer screen is your Medical Record. The VA uses an Electronic Health Record called VISTA, in which your medical record resides. Your medical record consists of visits, test results, progress notes, etc...

If you have a C&P done, it will not be in your Medical Record, but in your c-file. Conversely, if you have an MRI done, it will be in your Medical Record and not your c-file (unless you have the results included in it).

If I missed anything (I normally do), then someone will add to this :P

I am retired USAF officer trying to get VA rating updated. After Pilot training I was disenriolled for failure to remember procedures - eventually I was diagnosed with Hydrocephalus, and am now - post surgical recovery (~10+ neuro surgeries) ~ 20+ years ago these surgeores included mult VP VA VC shunts for adult onset hydrocephalus - post undetermined closed head injuries while on AD. MEB/PEB retained me with diagnosis of OBS mild Axis I Axis III and allowed me to remain in service with assignment limitations for adequate medical facility etc. This also had the disadvantage of making me less eligible for promotion - Due to lengthy hopstializations, I was denied PME schoolsd in residence, command assignments and also had joint duty assigments cancelled for various reasons (medical prodjudice?). Eventually I was passed over, not for performance but because my 'record' was not 'competitive'. After several assignments being pulled once new supervisers found out about my medical 'issues', in 1995 I took a TDY to SWA (Khobar) to prove I could work in the theater without issues. It did not improve my promotion possibility - so I opted for early reitrement. I took an early retirement in 1996 to maintain some form of medical coverage and initially received 0% disability. I appealed the decision and got it up to 10% - the rate increase for a shoulder rotator injury - and now at least my 'non disabling' OBS was designated as line of duty but no increase in disability rating for that.

6 years ago 2001-2 headaches started to return and I was diagnosed with high Blood pressure high cholesterol and medicated for these and told to exercise. Headaches did not subside as much as I wanted so I continued to request ( I was told I was complaining) for more than a year that I should have a CT scan to see if vebntricles were doing OK. I wa told that if I was talking they were fine. That my 'issues', were due to other 'stuff'. Only after a blow up in medical PA's office, was I granted a shunt study and CT. The CT showed relatively gross enlargement of ventricles - and finally, I was referred to a neurosurgeon; who told me what I already knew - my shunt was functioning (I was awake) and there was little he could do other then more meds or more surgery. And surgery was deemed as not a course at this time (my shunt is functioning). I was prescribed HCT to reduce water pressure and volume to reduce ventricle size.

I then also requested VA redetermination and was told I needed a new Nueropysch eval for that. So after two years of requests I was finally granted permission for additional testing - as a retiree this was regularly postponed denied and put off. When I was granted this eval the PA requested my old CT films for study. He studied them and then had them destroyed. as USAF academuy no longer ghas physical film library for rwewtirees. and I am retired and no longer active duty. I am now post 10 + shunt surgeries w/complications, and having issues however, the current GP doctor I have today, states that I am fine and not eligible for increased disability comp. I have requested yet another NP eval and have finally gotten the VA to approve or allow me to be reevaluated for disability increase. Issues I have had include surgical complications - ie, post surgical anoxia with parkinsonism and diplopia ( now resided after 8 months post operative association). Colostomy and subsequent reuptake (due to undetermined peritoneal infection post VP shunt surgeries) and a MVP click - post VA shunt surgery, subsequently revised to VP and now VC shunts. I found one in patient record that stated I had 'particulate matter', in shunt catheter - requiring a VP shunt revision post shunt failure ( I belive this is code for infected shunt in the brain) and have had other revisions; for distal tip auto-relocating to plural spaces and requiring revision. After another surgery, where I entered a comotoise state due to probable shunt failure, I awoke to find both Frontal and Pariteal lobes shunted. Subsequebntly the frontal lobe shunt was removed as it was deemed 'unnecessary'.

I now a herniated vertical abdominal surgical colostomy scar. I have been diagnosed with an MVP click (now resided) due to a VA shunt placement too far into the Cadriac Atrium and requiring a revision to shorten the distal tip (away form the Mitral Valve) I found one instance in the copied in patient record where a note was written stating this was also the cause of fevers and tremors I sustained for the period of the placement of this shunt with a post surgical note placed in with the record regarding the revision of this shunt having a diagnosis (not in official medical record) of 'subacute endocarditis'. I underwent another probing procedure for an infection viasully apperant above the shunt tubing of a VP shunt. the surgical probe discovered a VP shunt tube that had been disconnected and left in place - which required removal.

I have had revisions of the VP shunt for a distal (Peritoneal) tip 'auto-relocating', to, and pentrating, the plural membrane causing pluresy - it wasa determined that my pluresy was from CSF fluid being deposited into the pleural cavity.

The VA has requested (as of 19 Mar) that now that they are aware of TBI and OBS associated issues - that I undergo VA disability reconsideration. In prep for this, I requested the USAF fam prac doctor review my records and write a medical recommendation, She is stating that I my 2 year old NP eval showsa that even with Shiortterm memory issues (mild)I am above averge in intellect and mental function and therefore not warrantable for increased Disability determination. I requested yet another NP eval this time requesting they focus on issues supporting the recent 2 years old now MRI showing enlarged ventricles. I also requested that APnea from which I suffer be evlauated as well - MY recent films CTs and MRIs can no longer be compared to old films since the old CT scans reviewed by a previous fam practice PA havbe been destroyed - after his review. (again these were old CTs my neurosurgeon told me to keep a copy of). The PA requested these and then had them shredded as the mil hosp now did stuff On-line only for storage.

Querstiosn How can I proecceed now withthese doctors arrayeed against me and can I or do I have any recourse against this PA and or the USAF DOD for the stalling shredding and backtracking that has been it appears the usual course of support here. Email me at Jon.Sercel@peterson.af.mil ( now a GS who is being told I may need to retire as i cant stay on task well anymore)

Your c-file is a repository of documents that have been gathered in support of your original claim, and any other actions i.e. Notice of Disagreement, Request for Reconsideration, Appeal, Increase in Rating, etc... The documents can be obtained by you and submitted, or you can give the VA Release of Information forms for them to obtain the information or your c-file.

You are allowed to get a copy of your entire c-file free once. After that, you can only get updates for free.

What the doctor sees on the computer screen is your Medical Record. The VA uses an Electronic Health Record called VISTA, in which your medical record resides. Your medical record consists of visits, test results, progress notes, etc...

If you have a C&P done, it will not be in your Medical Record, but in your c-file. Conversely, if you have an MRI done, it will be in your Medical Record and not your c-file (unless you have the results included in it).

If I missed anything (I normally do), then someone will add to this :P

wow, all these years and I didn't realize that. I have brain lesions too so maybe I was told and forgot. One more question please, So I go to the VA Regional Office, take my paperwork and request they scan them in and get a receipt, yes? Thanks

They may not scan them in, but make copies, it depends. Yes, get a receipt that they received the documentation.

CYA all the way.

Louis