Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Medical Records On Cd

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Since I didn't have any idea at what the VA may have of medical file in my C-File, I requested a copy of my VA medical records on CD.

The Disk arrived today by FedX. It is self loading, but their is no instruction as to this point. The second time I loaded it, I had to select which drive and go from there. It uses Microsoft Office document imaging. One problem I noticed right away, the print was clear but it looked faded and made it hard on my poor eyes. Also there is no endex to go by, but there is a page by page listing on the left of the document similiar to what Adobe reader uses.

Now I have a lot of veiwing and reading to do, so I can make and endex and find what is available to support my current claim and the new one to come after it.

At least now I won't have to worry about loosing a hard copy or trying to go through all the paper to find what I need. With an endex, it should make thing a bit easier to find. It's not a perfect system, but it seems it is going to be better than what I had had to deal with in the past when I needed a particular document.

I still have to see if everything is their, including Cat scans, MRI's, and Xrays.

You all might consider getting your VA Medical Records of CD.

Rockhound Rider B)

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

rockhound,

in Microsoft Office document imaging, is there a tab to use to adjust lightness/darkness, contrast, etc., so it doesn't look so faded?

rockhound,

in Microsoft Office document imaging, is there a tab to use to adjust lightness/darkness, contrast, etc., so it doesn't look so faded?

Don't know, I will check it out and let you know. Printing out using their page numbering seems to work ok. pages correspond with the page number and the print out is quite good and readable.

Rockhound Rider B)

This was helpful with my Social Security CD:

1. Copy all files to a new folder on your desktop.

2. Rename files with a 1,2,3 etc at the beginning so they stay in order.

3. Then go through and view each file. Rename it to something you'll recognize.

So it looks like

1PTSDconsultFeb222008

2XrayOfFemurJuly142009

3MedIncreaseDosageIbuprofenSept012009

OR - it may be more useful to arrange records by ailment for preparing claim. You can make separate sub-folders and copy the same record to more than one folder if it contains info on more than one ailment.

You can rename the copies anything you want and the originals on the CD remain unchanged.

Hope this helps!

I was thinking along these lines, but it is going to take a lot of time, I don't type or read very fast and I can't read for very long either. It appears I have over a thousand pages of medical information that will have to be gone through, maybe not as much as some, but it seems like a daunting task, but it has to be done if I want some symblance of order and ready access to my records on demand.

Rockhound Rider B)

p.s. I'm off to town to see what my resent CAT scan of my nose has to tell me, not overjoyed if it shows what I want it to, but it will be a big help in my current claim.

This was helpful with my Social Security CD:

1. Copy all files to a new folder on your desktop.

2. Rename files with a 1,2,3 etc at the beginning so they stay in order.

3. Then go through and view each file. Rename it to something you'll recognize.

So it looks like

1PTSDconsultFeb222008

2XrayOfFemurJuly142009

3MedIncreaseDosageIbuprofenSept012009

OR - it may be more useful to arrange records by ailment for preparing claim. You can make separate sub-folders and copy the same record to more than one folder if it contains info on more than one ailment.

You can rename the copies anything you want and the originals on the CD remain unchanged.

Hope this helps!

One other tip that might help: I've found everything in my records to be redundant except for Progress Notes.

Any important info from Consults, Labs etc is documented in my Progress Notes so I was able to set all those aside.

You'll want to review them first to make sure that is also the case with you, but if it is, that's a large pile O' papers that can be eliminated from the shuffling.

All the best! B)