Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Need To Vent About Buddy

Rate this question

hookrunner

Question

I ran into a fellow ptsd counseling buddy that I had group therapy with a couple years ago. We had both been going to the N.O. VA before Katrina,but now we are both going to Biloxi VA. I didn't even recognize him as he has lung cancer from A.O. Although he said he was 100% ptsd, he has less than a year to live from the cancer. I asked had he filed a claim for that situation he said no" I'm already 100%". His wife was with him and I told him he should file a claim today for his wife protection for DIC . We were standing in the hall way talking so it was a brief encounter . I am now at home with a guilty conscience for not getting his phone number or even his first name to do a telephone search to ensure he files a claim even though he is already 100% at least it would be on his record . His wife piped in I don't know what I am going to do should he pass . He even used to talk about his little girl that I asked about of which he said she is now 6 years old.

Folks my heart is so heavy about this situation I have tears streaming down as I type this . I am concerned about his wife an child if he passes . If the N.O. VA was still open I could get his information, but it may be years before it's opened again. I was told by a friend that 300 records was lost in the flood that were waiting for C&P's .Makes you wonder how many of those people will die before the VA gets around to them again, as all C&P must be accompanied by your VARO service records .

Thanks for letting me feel my pain here.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hookrunner:

To many Veterans have suffered from Agent Orange related illness. I guess that the only thinh I can say is to remain a friend and be there for him. I know its a heartbreaker but I think someone who is in bad shape really appreciates a friend who will stand by then.

The NOLA VARO is now open, and is taking phone calls. It has relocated to Gretna, Louisiana. The hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Veterans Affairs Regional Office

671 Whitney Avenue, Building A

Gretna, LA 70054

They are now accepting phone calls via the 800/827-1000 number.

I posted this because they can answer questions about DIC, and can probably help locate the veteran, if they are willing to help, and that's a big "IF."

Thanks Vicki ,My daughter did a search on the net for me and located this man. I talked to him this morning and he said his wife insisted that he go talk to a veterans service officer at the Biloxi VA yesterday. They assured him his wife and child would be taken care of in his absence. He said he was already on the Agent Orange rester's. My mind is some what settled as I assured him if there was ever anything I could do just ask.

I should add that although folks my age know that dying is a part of living ,we need to make sure our loved ones are taken care of after we leave.