Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Processing New Claim With Request For Reconsideration In

Rate this question

Rich W

Question

I read something in another post that I'm concerned about. I send in a request for reconsideration about a month ago. I'm going to be sending in another claim. Will they work the new claim or will they have to wait until the request for reconsideration in resolved before working the new claim. I read a post that said something to the affect that your records can be in only one place at one time so they will work the first claim and work the other claim after it's resolved.

Is this true?

I'm going to send in the new claim no matter what so I can get the effective date set.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

To secure your date of claim, send an informal claim. Simply say, "Once my reconsideration is completed I intend to file a claim for _______________."

• HadIt.com Elder
To secure your date of claim, send an informal claim. Simply say, "Once my reconsideration is completed I intend to file a claim for _______________."

Thanks Sharon that makes perfect sense.

Mine is an interesting case. I have an appeal in process, the NOD was filed in October of 2008. I decided to file a new claim for hypertension as secondary to DM2 and GERD as secondary to DM2 through autonomic neuropathy. I had heard that it would screw up my appeal, but with PTSD I was frustrated anyways, so what the hell!

So, a few weeks ago I get a letter from the VARO saying that my claim for TDIU (I was appealing the denial of) was considered an increase in all of my service connected disabilities and they scheduled two C&P's. Lo and behold, on the MD C&P they asked for evidence of hypertension and GERD. So, whoever was working on my appeal saw the new claim and added it to the appeal.

Thanks everyone,

When I filed my Request for Reconsideration, I stated the following: I would like to also take this opportunity to notify you that I will be submitting a request for an increase in compensation for x , an initial request for y, an initial request for z.

Will this hold up my Request for Reconsideration in any way by not stating "Once my reconsideration is completed"? I know how things are stated can be very important.

Also, if I end up not wanting to submit an increase in compensation for x but still go with the initial request for y and z when I submit the formal claim do I need to state that I will not be pursuing an increase in x? I just don't want them to assume they have to wait to process the claim until I send in information for x.

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends. Are you saying that your Condition X has gotten worse, thus requiring another medical exam to evaluate and rate it? Or are you simply saying "I disagree with the evaluation," which would kick Issue X up to the Appeals Team, leaving the new claims for Y and Z to proceed through the development and rating process.

What is Condition X, and why do you think is was not evaluated correctly?

When I states "an increase in compensation for x" I meant the condition has worsened not that I want to appeal the original decision. I guess I should have stated the condition has worsened. I was going to put that in my formal claim. I'm outside the 1 year anyways.

It depends. Are you saying that your Condition X has gotten worse, thus requiring another medical exam to evaluate and rate it? Or are you simply saying "I disagree with the evaluation," which would kick Issue X up to the Appeals Team, leaving the new claims for Y and Z to proceed through the development and rating process.

What is Condition X, and why do you think is was not evaluated correctly?