Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scam On Vet Widow

Rate this question

katpet

Question

I am afraid I did search and was unable to find an answer, so please direct me if need be.

My mother is a senior citizen and the widow of a Navy Vet (lifer, retired about 1954, died 1976.) She was recently approached by an insurance salesman who claimed he could obtain for her something called "Aid and Attendance Pension" from the VA for a fee of $700. When I called him on it, he hung up on me.

Is this a common scam with seniors? Is there some agency where I can report this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am a vet's widow too-

we are potential targets-I could write a book on that-

Here is some advise I learned for widows of vets:

Get on the National and State Do Not Call registry.

Keep a camera near your front door and photograph anyone suspicious and their car too.

If you use a debit card- never give the pin out to ANYONE and get bank balance insurance.

Do NOT allow a stranger into your phone to use the phone, for a drink of water- anything-

If a salesman approaches you outside on your land, keep them outside while they talk.

Be VERY careful of anyone who says they are with your college or High School Reunion committee-

these committees innocently network and if someone calls them and says they are former classmate of yours- the committees will often give out some info on you-to a complete stranger who could be a nut case or an extortionist.

Do not Register a DD 214 with the County- no vet has too- this has caused scams to begin-

there is a lot of info on a DD 214.

Get a PO box for your mail-do not allow anyone to find out where your Christmas cards come from- etc.

AND if any company somehow begins to scam you financially -contact your state Attorney General Immediately.

If you are threatened in any way at all- take the time to call or go to the police and get a report made out and documented.

There are actually people out there who will target a widow or anyone who lives alone.

• HadIt.com Elder

A good service officer could help your Mom for no charge. Hadit can also help you get the pension for your Mom. If she has no other income she probably could qualify.

We all are probably aware that you can dial *69 (or 1169 rotary) to do a call return, but if the number is blocked that won't work. However, there is a 'legal' trace that many people are not aware. After the call is complete dial *57 (or rotary 1157). Be sure to follow the instructions with the automated promts. This trace call has to be done before any other calls are made (do it immediately). Note the date and time. The call can't be just for somebody 'harrassing' you, but must be of the nature to file charges. The number will be available to the phone company and law enforcement only. There will be an extra charge for this proceedure, usually $5.

I am a vet's widow too-

we are potential targets-I could write a book on that-

Here is some advise I learned for widows of vets:

Get on the National and State Do Not Call registry.

Keep a camera near your front door and photograph anyone suspicious and their car too.

If you use a debit card- never give the pin out to ANYONE and get bank balance insurance.

Do NOT allow a stranger into your phone to use the phone, for a drink of water- anything-

If a salesman approaches you outside on your land, keep them outside while they talk.

Be VERY careful of anyone who says they are with your college or High School Reunion committee-

these committees innocently network and if someone calls them and says they are former classmate of yours- the committees will often give out some info on you-to a complete stranger who could be a nut case or an extortionist.

Do not Register a DD 214 with the County- no vet has too- this has caused scams to begin-

there is a lot of info on a DD 214.

Get a PO box for your mail-do not allow anyone to find out where your Christmas cards come from- etc.

AND if any company somehow begins to scam you financially -contact your state Attorney General Immediately.

If you are threatened in any way at all- take the time to call or go to the police and get a report made out and documented.

There are actually people out there who will target a widow or anyone who lives alone.

Berta, glad to see you posting, I for one would miss your posts like this one;

My wife will be alone in the future im sure, Kari is definatly no push over and actually carrys a 38 spl airweight colt cobra evry time she leaves the house. I remember one time as a Civ employee for the Army in Maryland there was a guy who looked up the duty roster and called the spouses of the employees working the Midnight shift. The Intel boys (CID) played the tape for me since he called from the govt facility, and threatened to rape and kill them, Kari said " Sure come on over I will blow the rest of your brains out" and I assure you she would do it :)

But it is sad to be reminded of what scum lives still and knowing what beautiful people died for our country..

Arch

Arch, my husband made me go out and get my concealed weapons permit a couple of months ago. Quite a different deal for a person like me originally from Jersey, where the only people who have guns are the cops or criminals. I recommend it highly for us "girly-girls" who look like sucker targets, as long as there's no fear involved in using a weapon. I work downtown, sometimes at night, and I feel much safer with it, of course, I have no doubt I'd use it if I needed to.

I don't know if katpet has returned to see it, but the advice about getting a VSO to help her mom was excellent. I hope she follows it, and quickly.