Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Processing Timeline?

Rate this question

Bill (USAF Retired)

Question

Are TDIU claims accorded any sort of higher priority in processing, or are they subjected to the same hurry-up-and-wait line as a regular C&P claim? I'm 80% SC and recently had to resign a job (I couldn't fight anymore and let them hound me out the door; my health and sanity took precedence) due to one of my rated conditions.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

uh pretty much what bronco said. They have, in my opinion, often colluded to DELAY and stall a claim. Personally in my own case they comitted such an obvious error that even they agreed that it was a CUE. Yet it served the purpose in delaying the claim by at least six months, while I argued it.

The simple fact is the VA has nothing to lose if they delay and everything to gain. Often, more so than not actually the veteran becomes disgusted and just quits. Further death, and other factors can simply erase the claim since family members seldom if ever (in my experience again) follow up on their family members claims.

If the vet sticks with it and finally does get what they deserve they get back-paid, but this is just giving them what they should have gotten anyway, so how does the VA NOT benefit from witholding claims, and monies. The system is designed not to facilitate claims, but rather to confuse, irritage, anger and drive veterans away from even filing, much less following up on their claims. Most veterans simply accept whatever decision is made, if they even filed a claim in the first place which a great majority who could, simply dont because they think it would get them nowhere and dont know how. The VSO (Veteran Service Organization) representatives are normally (I have met some good ones too, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule) undertrained, understaffed, and unwilling to file complex claims. Again from personal experience, when I first filed my claim I had AmVets signed on a reps, but got so little out of them that I eventually ignored everything they said and filed my own NOD etc. The AmVets rep had the sheer gall to tell me in writing that his professional opinion (what a joke that) was that the initial 40% rating was fair and I shouldn't ask for anything else. He even sent a copy of this letter to the VA - and had it placed into my claims folder.

Currently I am 100% permanent and total and recieve Special Monthly Compensation at the R-1 rate. About a $6000 difference in what they started out giving me. So, be prepared to fight. Know in you heart that this is going to take literally years to completely resolve and may actually drag on for the rest of your life as you submit increases for worsening conditions etc.

Know that you can beat them. That by even fighting you are abnormal, and are a 5%er. Fight, never give up, never surrender, and dont give them the satisfaction of seeing you suffer. Pound them on EVERY issue, and LEARN and READ. Every day read part of CFR 38, or M21-1MR or bills currently in congress at Thomas.gov...

Our biggest streangth as veterans is that we are, for the most part literate, able to deal with regulations and read and understand them, and know how to do paperwork. Knowlege is my weapon, and I have used it again and agin to beat the VA to their knees. Some of that same knowlege came from discussion here - and certainly some great guidance and help with what to expect. Oh and spell check, I use that a lot... obviously hehe. Good luck.

Bob Smith