Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am rated for tinnitus 10%, loss of hearing 0% and MDD at 50%, (claimed as post traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorder and night sweats). My question is on the high blood pressure. First a little history; in 1962 while in the service I had the pleasure of spending some time in the Trippler mental hospital with some very serious problems. When I got out of the service I ran like hell away from the service just as fast as I could. Not knowing I could receive any help from the VA. In my service files there is no B/P checks of any kind. While in the hospital the service gave me Librium without knowing what my B/P was. My point is I want to file a claim for hypertension and I want to be sure not to screw it up. Since I have gotten out of the service (1962) my first two doctors are dead. The first report I have is 8-9-91 B/P was 142/92. The highest reading BEFORE I was enrolled in the VA system was 174/96. After enrolling in the VA Hospital Fresno I have readings from 198/105 and now getting under control 139/80. How would you go about handling the claim? What kind of evidence do I need. I know there is a loooooong gap between 1962 and 1991. Help

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

could the doctors have put HTN in the records instead of BP or HBP?

to mean hypertension? I see HTN used more than BP in many medical records. Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I have requested my records again. I have looked through these papers so many times they are getten thin. Maybe I did not get all my records so I'll ask for the again. bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

Moe,

I have what I think is a complete copy of my husbands SMR's and not one time did they ever show they took his BP or document any blood pressure reading at any time he was ever seen. He served 2 tours in Vietnam, in the Navy on Tango boats mostly, and if you got hurt or were sick, you were treated as quickly as possible for only what your complaint was and returned to the gun mount to keep fighting. I am sure not all cases went this way, as you stated your treatment was different, but I am sure from reading this and other posts that a lot of veterans were treated as quickly as possible and I think sometimes it is possible that not every visit to sick bay was documented. Depended on where you were at and who was treating you.

This information I pass along came from my husband, so I hope that it can help others in trying to evaulate certain things about their medical records.

BillyBoy,

I am not sure what to tell you. Do you live close to your VARO such that you could make a visit and look through your file yourself. Those records that I spoke of would have to be somewhere. I am hoping someone else can jump in and help you out as well.

mssoup1

Mssoup1, I live about 300 miles from the Oakland office. I’ve sent letters again for med records. Sent to National Records, two places I was stationed (probably nothing there). I will be send a letter to RO in Oakland and a letter to California Dept. VA. I’ll just start the process over and then I’ll wait and wait and wait. I feel I need something in my record to help with the hypertension. Would you have a DSM IV book? You can’t go on line, they are 80 some dollars on Amazon. I would like to know what the book says about establishing a claim for hypertension. bill

Billyboy,

No, I don't have th book you are looking for. Maybe someone else here has what you are looking for. But as far as establishing a claim for hypertension, it is no different than any other claim. You must first show a nexus which connects it to your military service. You must have something to show that your hypertension did in fact occur while you were in the military or is secondary to an already service connected condition. If you can't get this, then it may be very difficult to show a connection.

I have had a very hard time in getting my husband approved for service connection for hypertension, but his C & P went well. Still haven't heard anything on the claim yet, but I am hoping it gets approved.

Maybe someone else here who has filed a claim for hypertension can add something to help you out.

mssoup1

I know I need to show a nexus and that is way I am asking for my med records again. I am connected for MDD Major Depressive disorder (VA says its claimed as PTSD) but I still have no way of showing it started in service as no B/P checks anywhere. That is why I asked about the DSN IV maybe some could look it up and tell what I need or to expect. I am also looking for a shrink to state “more then likely secondary to PTSD” O-well we keep trying. bill