Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am rated for tinnitus 10%, loss of hearing 0% and MDD at 50%, (claimed as post traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorder and night sweats). My question is on the high blood pressure. First a little history; in 1962 while in the service I had the pleasure of spending some time in the Trippler mental hospital with some very serious problems. When I got out of the service I ran like hell away from the service just as fast as I could. Not knowing I could receive any help from the VA. In my service files there is no B/P checks of any kind. While in the hospital the service gave me Librium without knowing what my B/P was. My point is I want to file a claim for hypertension and I want to be sure not to screw it up. Since I have gotten out of the service (1962) my first two doctors are dead. The first report I have is 8-9-91 B/P was 142/92. The highest reading BEFORE I was enrolled in the VA system was 174/96. After enrolling in the VA Hospital Fresno I have readings from 198/105 and now getting under control 139/80. How would you go about handling the claim? What kind of evidence do I need. I know there is a loooooong gap between 1962 and 1991. Help

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Billboy,

If you don't have anything in your SMR's showing that you had hypertension while in the military or you don't have any records (within one year of discharge) showing you being treated for hypertension, then I personally think you are in for a fight with this claim.

I have been fighting a similar battle with my husband on his hypertension claim and they have constantly denied him due to the same things I mentioned above. But during his C & P exam the doctor looked at his entrance exam, which showed a normal BP and his separation exam, which showed a high blood pressure reading and also the fact that he did have early records of being on meds for HBP. She then wrote in the opinion that it was as least likely as not that his HBP was a result of his military service. We are still waiting to hear the results from this appeal.

I wish you luck, but unless you can show the nexus in medical records relating the medical problem to his military service, then the RO will state you have no proof that your HBP was a result of your military service. They don't take your word for the fact that you were treated for this while in service or within one year after discharge.

I can only state here what I know as a result of my experience in dealing with this same type of claim. Someone else may be able to tell you something different.

Again, I wish you luck.

mssoup1

Guest jstacy

Billyboy you can claim Hypertension secondary to PTSD. You may not meet the VA requirements for Direct Service Connection without the in service or during the presumptive time period. I would like to suggest that you research the BVA files and type in Hypertension secondary ptsd granted. That may give you a list of claims that have succeded. Also search the Court of Veterans appeals for the same criteria and can give you reference cases. You can also use these as back up for any claim you file.

Billyboy,

You must have a doctor to write an opinion that your hypertension is due to your PTSD. Jstacy is correct. Since you are having difficulty with the direct service connection for hypertension, this may very well be the next route to take. But, again you need that doctor's opinion.

mssoup1

"BVA files and type in Hypertension secondary ptsd granted. That may give you a list of claims that have succeded. Also search the Court of Veterans appeals for the same criteria and can give you reference cases"

Question, where do I find the BVA files and Court of Veterans appeals for the same criteria and can give you reference cases and I will look. bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

Guest jstacy

Billyboy for the BVA try this search: http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

For the Veterans court use this one:http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/query.idq?CiRestriction=Hypertension+ptsd&CiScope=%2Fcova%2F&CiMaxRecordsPerPage=10&TemplateName=query&CiSort=rank%5Bd%5D&HTMLQueryForm=%2Fvbahome3bk.htm

Just copy the links and paste them onto your web browser.

Keep us posted and If you need anything, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Here is some real crap. When I opened my case in June 03 I sent a request to VA Oakland for all service and medical records. Last week I requested CDVA to “SEE” if they could find anything with a B/P check. They did! Question, why did VA Oakland not send these to me? With that said my B/P entering was 130/72 and the only one they had was sitting, at discharge sitting, 136/72, recumbent, 132/74 and standing (3 min) 138/88. I know it went up a little but whats the opinion of the group; do I stand a snowballs chance in h—l with an IMO of getting anything for hypertension secondary to PTSD?