Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Newb With ?s

Rate this question

My Monster

Question

Long story short, jarhead retired after 20, hated going to sick call even if limbs were hanging on with a band aid, now a dependent. My questions are as follows...

1. How much weight is given to a Final Physical as far as evidence for a claim is given? (Doc wrote down quite a bit that I should of gone to med for but never did, i.e. knees (shattered left knee cap due to a basketball game for PT, ringing in the ears, broke left big toe, CTS, broken thumbs...)

2. I just received my "big brown envelope" asking me if I would like to present any more evidence for my claim before the VA attempts to rate me. I am a retired dependent and just had x-rays and MRI's done on my back and knees. The write up for the x-rays state bone spur's in my lower lumbar, DDD, and arthritis in my back but have not had a chance to do a report/write up on my MRIs. should I wait to include them or just have the VA rate me on what they have?

3. When will they schedule me for the C & P physicals?

Might sound like simple shit but I am clueless on this...

D.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would wait until you get the MRI results. Include everything you have, the more the better. The good news, you have one year from seperation / retirement for arthritis to show up so the recent tests will count. I don't know about the final physical questions, but I would guess that as long as you were on active duty and the Doc noted it you should be covered. But that doesn't the mean the VA will pay you for it, they might throw a bunch of SC 0%. at you But once you are SC 0%, you can begin to document the problems and submit new evidence and ask for an increase.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome.

I can't really answer any of your questions since I am not knowledgeable that way. However since you have said you are new at this, I thought I would suggest you look at my website. It is a free guide on researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. You might find some info there that can help.

Others more knowledgeable will be along I'm sure to answer your actual questions.

Thank you for protecting me and mine.

fanaticbooks

www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

• HadIt.com Elder
Thank you both for the input. I have been all over this site and a few others gleaning as much information as possible.

my best advice is to learn patience and persistence they deny you appeal they low ball you you appeal remember SO's are not your best friends they handle hundreds of claims and being a life member soes not guarantee you "good service" be proactive in your claim you are your best advocate with all that said it seems as if the Regional offices are handling claims quicker than they use to and we are starting to see better awards than we used to but there are still veterans getting the wrong awards or being totally denied on a legit claim, so prepare yourself for a battle if it ends up being target practice you are getting along good then good luck

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

question on this issue-

I have friend retiring in days after 32 years reserves- officer-

he said they told him they don't do retirement physicals anymore????????????

How could they prepare a Discharge Certificate if they dont?

Does that make sense to anyone?

Maybe I misunderstood him-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

To add- you need to thoroughly check out the chronic presumptive regulations in:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/38cfr3.309.htm

Any vet who falls into the presumptive criteria here should have no problem getting their claim awarded.

well- maybe little problem getting their claim awarded.

Unfortunately many vet reps never even consider these chronic presumptive disabilities when helping the vet prepare a claim for SC.

They might claim the disability but overlook whether it is on this list.

The VA could realize it is , and the medical evidence warrants an and award but then again-

I feel this type of claim should be spelled out cleasrly so even a 10 year old could read it- and the presumptive regs here too should be cited in the claim.

You might have a presumptive disability as listed here.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.