Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Registry Exam

Rate this question

edsteph98

Question

I had a gulf war registry exam completed on 10/29/09 and was wondering if anybody knows what information the VA is looking for? I filed a claim for gulf war syndrome which was denied but I have since re-opened the claim with new medical evidence and had the gulf war exam done. I got a copy of the report and summary of findings which is in my opinion already in my medical records. Does anybody know how the exam will be used for my disability?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I don't know how VARO will use the exam. I would hazard a guess that it would have little impact for claims purposes but I don't know what's in your file or the exam. Most of what they will be looking for will be in your treatment records and C&P's.

Also, I hope you did not file for "Gulf War Syndrome" specifically. The claim will be denied no matter what as there is no GWS ratable condition as far as the VA is conserned.

You can file for certain symptoms and conditions if the cause of them is "unknown". Since I don't know what specific symptoms and conditions you suffer, I'll give an example. I was rated for "undiagnosed chronic fatigue".

Someone may pop in and post the regs for you, I don't have time right now. But you should be able to read through past posts in the GWI section here and find them easy enough.

thanks for the input, I filed a claim for service connection due to undiagnosed muscle/joint pain, headaches, photo sensitivity and (cervical dystonia - which was denied). However since I reopened with new medcial my VRO recommended strongly that I get the gulf war exam. I am not sure why unless its just for more documentation in my claims file.

Since I am registered on the Gulf War Registry I get these reviews every now and then, they don't do them often or I just get them when they realize they have not sent me one in a while.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/docs/gulfwa...etter_aug09.pdf

Page 6

Conditions Automatically Recognized for Service Connection

Enacted in 1994, Public Law 103-446 allows VA to pay compensation to Gulf War Veterans with certain chronic disabilities resulting from illnesses that VA could not diagnose that appeared during active duty in the Gulf War or within a specified time period after their Gulf War service, which led to a degree of disability of 10 percent or more.

Three health conditions suffered by some Gulf War Veterans are presumptively (automatically) recognized by VA for service connection. These are fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and irritable bowel syndrome. In 2001, Public Law 107-103, expanded the definition of "qualifying chronic disability" to include these three conditions.

VA encourages Veterans with these conditions—including those denied service connection before this law was passed—to apply for VA disability compensation.

page 7

Compensation for Undiagnosed Illnesses.

Many Gulf War Veterans encountered problems when trying to prove that their difficult-to-diagnose or undiagnosed illnesses were connected to military service. This affected these Veterans' access to disability compensation.

In response, VA asked Congress for the authority to provide compensation benefits to Gulf War Veterans who are chronically disabled by undiagnosed illnesses. The 1994 statute authorizes VA to pay compensation for disabilities that cannot be diagnosed as a specific disease or injury, or for certain illnesses with unknown cause, including chronic fatigue, persistent rashes, hair loss, headaches, muscle pain, joint pain, neurological symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms such as memory loss, respiratory system symptoms, sleep disturbances, gastrointestinal symptoms, cardiovascular symptoms, abnormal weight loss, and menstrual disorders.

More than 3,400 Gulf War Veterans have received service connection for their undiagnosed or difficult-to-diagnose illnesses under this authority. Veterans from the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq are also eligible for this special benefit.

It won't hurt to send in the report.

I seem to remember someone here was trying to get their results to send in to VARO. I have had the exam but it is not in my C-file, so I don't think when VARO requests medical records from VA the report is included.

You will have to be persistant, they do not like to award these types of claims and when they do they are very low ratings.

I think it's good to have every GW veterans information in the registry. The main reason is it adds to our numbers making it harder for the VA to deny there is a GW related problem. Sooner or later they are going to have to give us some consideration. We started out better off than the AO vet's because of the presumptive SC early on but now we are being treated much the same way. The VA will continue to admit as little as possible.

Being added to the registry shows a higher percentage of sick GW vets than they are admitting.

Sorry, most of my post is opinion. Not helpfull to your claim.

i got rated for IBS,chronic fatigue and joint pain. they will not rate for gulf war syndrome i tryed they acted like i was from mars.and i dont think i would have been given a positive rating if i wouldnt have been getting treatment for these problems for eight years and within 2 months after getting back from the gulf.and it still took 4 years to get,so good luck and keep fighting.also i just got denied from the ALJ on SSD,go figure guess ill be appealing ;)

• HadIt.com Elder
I had a gulf war registry exam completed on 10/29/09 and was wondering if anybody knows what information the VA is looking for? I filed a claim for gulf war syndrome which was denied but I have since re-opened the claim with new medical evidence and had the gulf war exam done. I got a copy of the report and summary of findings which is in my opinion already in my medical records. Does anybody know how the exam will be used for my disability?

the Gulf War exam has NO influence on your claim, it is just what they say it is a "registry" that one day may or may not be used to compile the percentages of veterans that have the same medical problems similar to the Agent Orange registry just being listed in the registry does not quantify anything for a claim, it is not a claim and it does not help a claim, on the other hand it doesn't hurt a claim either it's just a registry