VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance Via Independfant Living Services

Rate this question

hawkfire27

Question

Hey y'all

Just thought I would let you know that a friend of mine just got approved for a Clothing Allowance after 6 years of denial. Apparently if you approach this issue via Voc Rehab Independent living services it gets approved straight away....Well it did for my friend. He lost a toe due to a stray bullet in Vietnam, this made his shoes wear out really quickly, and his weight fluctuates because of his DMII and meds.

The VA rep explained that when it's done through Voc Rehab, the Voc Rehab person is the one that approves it due to need because of the special approval process for voc rehab and the laws that govern it in regards to quality of life of the veteran. He was denied because the conditions he was applying for the clothing allowance through the traditional route were not covered by the letter of the law.

I have always heard good things about the independent living services and their reps, these people approve anything (within reason) that will improve the life of the veteran, and there is a lot of leeway in their regs for doing this, i.e. there are no specifics on what these improvements are, it is up to the discretion of the Voc Rehab rep.

Just thought I would pass this along.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question