Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cervical Radialculopathy Or Carpel Tunnel

Rate this question

pelicanbrave

Question

Was Medically discharged in 2000 and received a disability rating of 20% left knee lateral laxity and 10% hypertension. Was denied for hearing loss and cyst on my right wrist. Beside cyst on right wrist there was written, (NWG). Not well grounded. After gathering up all local ER records today from 2000 to present I found some interesting info. At one of the local hospitals I had been seen on 10/26/2000 for right wrist pain and numbness and right shoulder pain that radiates in the neck. The doc wrote most likely carpel tunnels, versus the ganglion cyst that I claimed in the Service. On 12/14/2000 I was seen again for hand numbness and shoulder pain that radiates into the neck. She wrote that could be consistent with a cervical radiculopathy. I have been seen for this same condition at least 10 to 15 times since 2000 and just recently underwent anterial cervical diskectomy and fusion at C6-C7. The VA did test me for carpel tunnels on 11/05/08 and I tested positive for severe median neuropathy across the right wrist consistent with carpel tunnels syndrome. They have seen me until they are tired of seeing me for this. In my opinion this has to be service connected. I have suffered for 10 years because of this and would like for someone's opinion on what I should do. Thanks for your time.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

i am service connected for the exact same thing. If you injured your neck in service then the VA should Service connect it and the Median Nerve Neuritis also as secondary considering it is radiculpathy.

J

Was Medically discharged in 2000 and received a disability rating of 20% left knee lateral laxity and 10% hypertension. Was denied for hearing loss and cyst on my right wrist. Beside cyst on right wrist there was written, (NWG). Not well grounded. After gathering up all local ER records today from 2000 to present I found some interesting info. At one of the local hospitals I had been seen on 10/26/2000 for right wrist pain and numbness and right shoulder pain that radiates in the neck. The doc wrote most likely carpel tunnels, versus the ganglion cyst that I claimed in the Service. On 12/14/2000 I was seen again for hand numbness and shoulder pain that radiates into the neck. She wrote that could be consistent with a cervical radiculopathy. I have been seen for this same condition at least 10 to 15 times since 2000 and just recently underwent anterial cervical diskectomy and fusion at C6-C7. The VA did test me for carpel tunnels on 11/05/08 and I tested positive for severe median neuropathy across the right wrist consistent with carpel tunnels syndrome. They have seen me until they are tired of seeing me for this. In my opinion this has to be service connected. I have suffered for 10 years because of this and would like for someone's opinion on what I should do. Thanks for your time.

You'll need to provide more backgoound info. Are you SC or do you have documentation for a neck injury. Were you seen for the things you describe while on active duty. What was your medical discharge? All that being said, you will have to have an IMO willing to connect the dots back to active duty.

Bergie

I am service connected for left knee and hypertension. But was having numbness in my fingers on my right hand and pain in my right wrist. Discharged in Jan 2000 and was denied for cyst on wrist(NWG). Was seen in ER 10/26/2000 for hand and neck pain. Doctor stated that Patient has positive tinels sign and most likely has carpel tunnel, versus the ganglion cyst that is not palpable at this time. I have ordered my smr's and have gone to all local hospitals and had copies of all records and I'm even shocked at how many times I had to be seen for the same thing. On I2/13/2000 I had a CT scan and it states "Mild degenerative changes at C4/C5. If there is clinical evidence for degenerative disk disease or disk herniation to cause these neck and hand symptoms, an MRI may be of additional value. I struggle with my back pain. I have a fantastic City job but find it hard to do the simplest of tasks any more. To be sure DDD couldn't have just happened in 10 months. I have been diagnosed at the VA for severe median neuropathy across the right wrist consistent with carpel tunnel syndrome. Pain and numbness in the hand, pain in the shoulder radiating to the neck finally leading to spinal fusion. I sure hope there is some place in my smr's where I went to the doctor in the service for my back! Thank you all for replying