Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help

Rate this question

postman56

Question

I am currently 20% sc for lumbar strain. I was involved in a vehicle accident while in service. From all my medical reports and mri for my back it states that I have a herniated disc l4-5 (bulging) I had 2 mir's done one civilian and one that the va sent me for and they both state that i have a herniated disc. I have recently put in claims for my neck and both shoulders which is at the rating board, and a claim for my left hip and left leg which is in early developement. I still have not filed for my buttocks and left arm yet. My quewstion is will the va change my back condition from lumbar strain is this something i should worry about?

Postman56

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

If you are claiming the other problems as secondary to the 20% SC this will take medical evidence to show the link.

The VA could re -characterize this as possible disk disease etc- I am sure not the back claim expert here but it is not something I think you should worry about.

I am more concerned as to how the other conditions are medically related to the SC condition or are you filing these other conditions as due to something else in service?

Thanks for the reply. On the claim for my neck and shoulders the MRI states that I have reversal of the normal cervical lordosis, grade1 retrolisthesis of c5 on c6. Multilevel disc desiccation is present. Multilevel anterior osteophytosis is present. Disc space narrowing, discogenic endplate change, and anterior and posterior osteophytosis are noted at c5-6. This claim is at the rating board, and for some reason they did not schedule me for a C&P. Should I worry?

The claim thaqt I put in for my left hip and left left: MRI of my lumbar spine indicates I have posterolateral disc bulge in combination with facet arthropathy producing bilateral neural foramen stenosis at L3-4level. At l4-5 level, loss of disc height and hydration with swlight posterolisthesis of L4 on L5. HNP in combination with hypertrophy of the facets and ligamentum flava produces moderate central stenosis. I realy do not know what any of this means. Last thursday I had to go to the VA emergency room because I was having wide spread body spasms. I have not filed for my buttocks and left arm yet. I was in volved in a rear end collision and I received whiplash injuries.

The VA is saying that the condition for the neck is residule to lumbar strain? and the shoulders, hip and leg are secondary?

I do not understand any of this.

Thanks Berta for the response. I tried to reply yesterday but I guessw it did not go thru. I was was involved in a moter vehicle accident, where I was hit from behind and received whiplash injuries.

My recent MRI for my cervical spine shows that I have reversal of the normal cervical lordosis. There is grade1 retrolisthesis of C5 on C6. Multilevel disc desiccation is present. Multilevel anterior osteophytosis is present. Disc space narrowing, discognetic endplate signal change, and anterior and posterior osteophytosis are noted at C5-6. The claim for my neck and shoulders are at the rating board, the va is stating that that the neck is residule of lumbar strain and the shoulders is because of lumbar strain.

My recent MRI on my lumbar spine states that i have posterolateral disc bulge in combination with facet arthropathy producing bilateraql neural foraminal stenosis. At L4-5, slight posterolisthesis of L4 on L5. HNPand spondylosis in combination with hypertrophy of the faqcets and ligamentum flava produces moderqate central stenosis.

I am receiveng 20% for my lumbar the va is siteing this as a lumbar strain? Should it be more than a lumbar strain? I put in a claim on my left hip and left leg, this is in early developement stages, the va is stating that the hip and leg is secondary to lumbar strain. I have yet to file on my buttocks and left arm maybe I should have put all this in at the same time. I have had problems with all these injuries form the day of the accident which was 12/11/05. I have been going to therapy off and on ever since. I do not understand why the va is stating that my injuries to my back is a lumbar strain when the mri states a disc bulge. Also I did not get a C&P on my neck and shoulders it went right to the rating board should I worry?

I am currently 20% sc for lumbar strain. I was involved in a vehicle accident while in service. From all my medical reports and mri for my back it states that I have a herniated disc l4-5 (bulging) I had 2 mir's done one civilian and one that the va sent me for and they both state that i have a herniated disc. I have recently put in claims for my neck and both shoulders which is at the rating board, and a claim for my left hip and left leg which is in early developement. I still have not filed for my buttocks and left arm yet. My quewstion is will the va change my back condition from lumbar strain is this something i should worry about?

Postman56

Thanks Berta for responding. I was involved in a vehicle accident, and at the time I did not know how to file a claim so I claimed my back thinking that everything would be covered under that. So when I claimed the above mentioned I thought the va would look at the medical documentation and know that I was claiming injuries for my neck condition, instead they were stating that my back caused all of this. Thanks to your reply I contacted the va and found out that my claim on my shoulders and neck were being tied into my back and that it would probably get denied. The va faxed me some forms and had me to fill them out correctly hopefuly this works out in my favor. The accident was 4 years ago and I am still in a lot of pain. Once again thanks for the imput.