Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Va Goofed?

Rate this question

AimHigh1986

Question

I filed a reopen claim in Jul 09 for heart disease/heart bypass secondary to my SC hypertension. The VA rec'd the claim 4 Aug 09. In Sep/Oct/Nov 09, I was scheduled for several C&P exams (stress test, EKG, ECG, x-rays, etc) with QTC. Concurrently with my heart disease exams, the VA decided to reevaluate my migraines, so they scheduled me for a C&P exam with QTC specifically for migraines. On 14 Dec 09 I rec'd a call from QTC saying they were finished with my heart disease C&Ps and was going to transmit their findings to the VA that day. On 15 Dec 09, the VA sent me a decision letter on my migraines, stating that there would be no change to my 30% rating. Somehow, the VA thought that the migraine decision letter finalized my heart disease claim as well. I spoke to numerous counselors and they swore up and down that the 15 Dec 09 migraine decision letter covered my heart disease claim as well. I finally convinced one counselor to listen to me and actually READ the decision letter to see what I was talking about. This counselor told me that he would initiate an inquiry to my local VA center. 2 weeks passed but I still hadn't heard from the VA. Not even an obligatory "we are still working your claim" letter. I called the 800 number again today and the counselor told me that the system still showed that my heart disease claim was completed on 15 Dec. Another inquiry was initiated. This time, I was provided a case number. Again, I wait...

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I requested a copy of my C&P exams for my heart condition. I worry that the request will also fall thru the cracks.

My VCAA letter was dated 4 Aug 09. About a month later they began scheduling my C&P exams. Everything was moving along pretty quickly until they decided to reevaluate my migraines. I thought it was just a stall tactic.

My migraine decision letter made no mention at all of my heart claim. I think the 800 counselors simply looked in the system, saw a decision letter and assumed that it was for my heart claim. One counselor even mailed me a duplicate copy (of the migraine decision letter) because he swore that it was for my heart claim. I finally convinced another counselor to actually READ the letter and she confirmed that it was for my migraines only.

If I don't hear anything by 1 Mar 10, I'm going to the DAV and talk to a vet rep. Thank you for all of your help!

Promising news. It seems like the IRIS inquiry worked. I received an email today saying that my claim is with the rating board and a decision is ready to be made. Shouldn't be much longer now!