Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice To Write Claim For Ptsd

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

How much detail should I put in my letter asking for PTSD SC? Do I write a long detailed letter about all my problems and issues, or just a short version that includes the diagnosis by the Dr. I don't want to waste a lot of time if it doens't matter and everything will be decided by the Dr. diagnosis and C&P.

Any examples that someone is willing to share or if you are willing to read my letter and provide feedback please let me know. I would post my letter thus far here, but not sure if that is appropriate.

Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for all the responses, I do have a PH and CAB, both on my DD214. I will just list everything in the request and probably do it again when I get the response and VCAA letter. The one question, do I need to list all stessors or just a couple major ones?

On stressors, names of KIA/WIA, dates, events..how close you were to each.. about thier family and how it made you feel to survive and he did not with a family, and you were single... so who would miss you ? your folks for a while or your wife& Kids?

Guilt you felt.... why me... so many others that deserved to not get killed you survived.... why.

How did it tear you up, the mud rain, c-rats, the horror of it all..... death all around you like a blanket, the numbing you feel, lose of caring what really happens to you....

but then again if you were in a camp, or lived in a tent and just got incomming every now and again... maybe not......

in the rear with the gear is different than the guy in the hole for weeks on top of weeks... going thru all the crap...

if you got them, you know them

Edited by vperl

As Berta stated correctly, your DD-214 documents receipt of PH and CAB and both are conceded stressors. Only one stressor incident is required, you could have a hundred combat related incidents and it don't mean a hill of beans as far as compensation rating.

The compensation is based on how PTSD symptoms affect you today in this world currently.

You can skip all the stressor events becasue you will see once you get your decision it will read "DD-214 documented receipt of PH, therefore stressor is conceded."

I wouldn't waste my time conjouring up the ghosts if I were you, since there is no need to. You have met the STRESSOR portion and all you need now is a clear diagnosis of PTSD and the severity of your current symptoms.

Anyone that has a CAR, CIB, CAB, CMB, or other combat medals already have the required stressor and need not prove or document anything further.

I have a CAR and I did not at any time have to provide a stressor or document a stressor event. The stressor was conceded and still is today and I am 70% PTSD.

Thanks again, that clears up a lot. One last question, do I list all the symptoms, etc, of PTSD that I am experiencing, or just quote the diagnosis and cite the date of VA Mental health exam / subsequent ongonig counselling and let the VBA read the reports?

Thanks again, that clears up a lot. One last question, do I list all the symptoms, etc, of PTSD that I am experiencing, or just quote the diagnosis and cite the date of VA Mental health exam / subsequent ongonig counselling and let the VBA read the reports?

Signal,

The above info should come from you MH providers and the C&P examiner.

Your family members can write (ones that have been in your life prior to

and after your stressor/s) a letter or two saying how they

see a difference in you since the stressor/s.

This will be called lay evidence and will not get a lot of weight for

consideration - but I have read some BVA cases where it has helped

turn a claim issue such as percentage, for the better of the claim.

Have their signatures on the letters notorized.

As always, submit copies, in person if possible and get date

stamped copies.

jmho,

carlie

but then again if you were in a camp, or lived in a tent and just got incomming every now and again... maybe not......

in the rear with the gear is different than the guy in the hole for weeks on top of weeks... going thru all the crap...

vperl,

I do not agree with the above.

In the rear with the gear,the guy in the hole for weeks on top of weeks,

stationed stateside and getting jumped and beaten behind the bowling

alley......... PTSD is PTSD.

jmho,

carlie

Sorry about the fight you were in, how many bodies, heads missing, and guts everywhere was there in the fight ?

sounds terrible your experience.

PTSD has many types, since I was in Combat I do not have a clue about your fight with someone, I had those in high school, got crap beat out of me buy the upper classmen because I would dnot back down....

Think I will see what the VSO can do for me...

But, I guess your right...... you had it bad...

vperl,

I do not agree with the above.

In the rear with the gear,the guy in the hole for weeks on top of weeks,

stationed stateside and getting jumped and beaten behind the bowling

alley......... PTSD is PTSD.

jmho,

carlie