Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Records At National Archives

Rate this question

hawkfire27

Question

Hey Hadit people! :)

I just wanted to remind everyone requesting records from the national archives of something my husband just discovered.

Asking for a copy of all records they have is not sufficient. You will not get all records. As shown in the following link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...ial-notice.html

You need to make sure you request things specifically, such as, I require a copy of all Article 15's, I require a copy of all court martial papers, and all papers regarding discharge, the nature of discharge. I need all papers regarding any medical treatment, diagnoses, tests, treatment for mental illness, pay slips, id cards requests (which show the location of issue), R&R requests and approvals, uniform issues (that show the location of issue), all letters of commendation, all promotions, E-1-E7 etc. This is often the information people need to show there character of service, there location if they are unable to prove it because they were attached to a unit overseas instead of being assigned, it can also help prove the time, date and location for people trying to prove stressors for PTSD, and ALL this information is available but you need to ask for it specifically.

My husband sent off a very detailed request and he received over 50 pages of of extremely important information he never knew was even available, even though he had previously requested his complete file. So make sure your requests are really specific. I would hate for a veteran to get turned down for a claim simply because he didn't have the evidence from service. Any and all personal actions, deployment orders, medical records, qualifications and commendation are all held in these files, at least my husbands file had them, and he didn't even know about it for 30 odd years.

Anyway just wanted y'all to know! :-)

Hawk

Edited by hawkfire27

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hawk,

Thank you for submitting this information.

I recently requested my records. I typed out a list of the records I was looking for on Word prior doing my online submission..that way I could cut/paste the information easily. I have received notification per email that they have received my request and faxed signature form. The email said it will take approx. 4-6 weeks to receive my records. Hopefully I will receive all of the information I've requested.

CHR49

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Is this anything different than requesting records from the storage facility in Missouri?

Also, does anyone know if the records stored in these archives also contain security clearance-related investigation results and related documents?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I sent in a request for my medical records and they said they didn't have them there and to contact my VARO. Further down in the letter it stated; or go to http://www.archives.gov and submit a request. Wait a minute! That was where I submitted my request to in the first place. What the heck is up with that crap? :)

Totally confused.......

Jeff

Hey Hadit people! ;)

I just wanted to remind everyone requesting records from the national archives of something my husband just discovered.

Asking for a copy of all records they have is not sufficient. You will not get all records. As shown in the following link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...ial-notice.html

You need to make sure you request things specifically, such as, I require a copy of all Article 15's, I require a copy of all court martial papers, and all papers regarding discharge, the nature of discharge. I need all papers regarding any medical treatment, diagnoses, tests, treatment for mental illness, pay slips, id cards requests (which show the location of issue), R&R requests and approvals, uniform issues (that show the location of issue), all letters of commendation, all promotions, E-1-E7 etc. This is often the information people need to show there character of service, there location if they are unable to prove it because they were attached to a unit overseas instead of being assigned, it can also help prove the time, date and location for people trying to prove stressors for PTSD, and ALL this information is available but you need to ask for it specifically.

My husband sent off a very detailed request and he received over 50 pages of of extremely important information he never knew was even available, even though he had previously requested his complete file. So make sure your requests are really specific. I would hate for a veteran to get turned down for a claim simply because he didn't have the evidence from service. Any and all personal actions, deployment orders, medical records, qualifications and commendation are all held in these files, at least my husbands file had them, and he didn't even know about it for 30 odd years.

Anyway just wanted y'all to know! :-)

Hawk

Edited by Sgt Schmidt

Jeff,

Check out the following link as this may have something to do with when you were in the service:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...ds/medical.html

I sent in a request for my medical records and they said they didn't have them there and to contact my VARO. Further down in the letter it stated; or go to http://www.archives.gov and submit a request. Wait a minute! That was where I submitted my request to in the first place. What the heck is up with that crap? :)

Totally confused.......

Jeff

CHR49

Vync,

I don't know about the security clearance stuff. The site has a contact info link where you can get phone numbers, etc. to contact them. You could try checking that.

Is this anything different than requesting records from the storage facility in Missouri?

Also, does anyone know if the records stored in these archives also contain security clearance-related investigation results and related documents?

CHR49

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my SMR's from St Louis. I never saw them in my C file till I copied the SMR's and politely asked a Rating Officer to please include them in my file.

When someone says someone else has something better check it out

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.