Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need To File Claim - Lots Of Confustion

Rate this question

chr49

Question

Sorry this is so long. I'm 61 - Vietnam Vet and I'm currently rated 50% PTSD.

I have the following diagnoses on private and VA records:

. R leg PVD- with superficial femoral occlusion per private hospital-2002

. L leg PVD- for which had angioplasty/stent per VAMC -2008

. R carotid occlusion per ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid stenosis per ultrasound VAMC -2008

. Hypertension - since 2005 per private & VA records

. ED - since 2002 per private & VA records

Private hospital records from 2002 show a diagnosis of 440.0 Aortic Atherosclerosis and 440.21 Ath Ext NTV AT w Claudct on my Diagnosis Summary. Procedures were: Contrast Aortogram & Contrast Arteriogram-leg. The Contrast aortogram findings: " Single right & left renal arteries are widely patent. There is slight atherosclerosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta. There is no appreciable infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. There is no moderate or severe stenosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta." It then goes into description of the Arteriogram which shows a greater than 20 cm occlusion.

Since then, I have gone thru several tests and procedures with the VA, for which I have not received records at this point.

Several questions: Should I file any of the above diagnosis's secondary to my PTSD? Do I have a claim for IHD? Should I simply let it all go? I believe the fact that I avoided all medical care from my discharge in '71 - '98 would make a claim difficult to prove.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get since I have very little knowledge on filing VA claims.

Note: I do not have health insurance so it would be very difficult for me to work outside the VA right now.

Edited by chr49

CHR49

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Chr49,

Notice below an excerpt from the proposed IHD regulations dated 3-25-10 concerning the VA definition of Ischemic Heart Disease (IHD) to be added to the Agent Orange list.

"Therefore, for purposes of this regulation, the term ''IHD'' includes, but is not limited to, acute, subacute, and old myocardial infarction; atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease including

coronary artery disease (including coronary spasm) and coronary bypass surgery; and stable, unstable and Prinzmetal's angina. Since the term refers only to heart disease, it does not

include hypertension or peripheral manifestations of arteriosclerosis such as peripheral vascular disease or stroke."

I would venture to say that you are in line to file a separate claim for IHD, as your private medical records clearly show atherosclerosis. Yours looks to me like a "cut-and-dry" case.

. R carotid occlusion per ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid stenosis per ultrasound VAMC -2008

Private hospital records from 2002 show a diagnosis of 440.0 Aortic Atherosclerosis and 440.21 Ath Ext NTV AT w Claudct on my Diagnosis Summary. Procedures were: Contrast Aortogram & Contrast Arteriogram-leg. The Contrast aortogram findings: " Single right & left renal arteries are widely patent. There is slight atherosclerosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta. There is no appreciable infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. There is no moderate or severe stenosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta." It then goes into description of the Arteriogram which shows a greater than 20 cm occlusion.

Since then, I have gone thru several tests and procedures with the VA, for which I have not received records at this point.

Several questions: Should I file any of the above diagnosis's secondary to my PTSD? Do I have a claim for IHD? Should I simply let it all go? I believe the fact that I avoided all medical care from my discharge in '71 - '98 would make a claim difficult to prove.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get since I have very little knowledge on filing VA claims.

Note: I do not have health insurance so it would be very difficult for me to work outside the VA right now.

Edited by chr49

CHR49

. R carotid artery occlusion per carotid ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid artery stenosis per carotid ultrasound VAMC -2008

One Shot, One Shovel

. R carotid artery occlusion per carotid ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid artery stenosis per carotid ultrasound VAMC -2008

Look at the federal regs as to whatthe % of disability there are for Heart diseases

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-....1.1.5.2.102.49

This maybe easier to read, downloas the file below

S4_104.doc

Edited by vperl

One Shot, One Shovel

Whew, chr49 i sure hope you can get it,i will be praying for you big time.

Skunk, tomato juice is expensive...... but your worth it...

people can read this file and see what diseases and what ratings the VA will most likley use....

One thing to note, during the IHD P&T exam they are looking for test you have had done....

no tests they will schedule many tests to get your METS & EF scores.

It would be best for you to get your PCP to schedule a MUGA, Cardiac Sonigram, and a tread mill test, or the other tests...

If you got nothing to show .. No METS or EF scores your spinning your wheels and putting things off

S4_104.doc

Edited by vperl

One Shot, One Shovel