VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Released From Guard

Rate this question

world_wide

Question

Hi, I am confused about the discharge/retirement process. With 17 years service in the guard and active army I am going to be released, with over 15 years of good service.

My BP diagnosis happened while I was off of active duty, but still in the National Guard2_bing.gif.

My questions are the following:

1. With a military retirement due to mental health reasons, does that mean I would still undergo an army/VA rating percentage?

2. I do not understand retirement vs severance vs disability. My discharge is due to mental health reasons. I have bi-polar and ptsd. The bi-polar is the cause of the discharge.

3. I am appealing the decision to be released from the military, but will that appeal affect any disability rating that may or may not be applied?

Thanks in advance for any info. that can be provided.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Good question. I can't answer them all, but I think I have one of them. :)

Retirement pay means you did your 20 years or more and got out and the military pays you for your time in service for the rest of your life. Severance would be a one time pay either at once or divided into so many years until the ultimate total amount is exhausted. Disability is payed to someone who incurred an injury or disease while in service and the military/VA feels it will effect you for the rest of your life. Kind of like retirement, but for a disability.

This was a shot in the dark, so if someone else has something different, please chime in.

Thanks for the info. HvyGuns. It is certainly appreciated.

Good question. I can't answer them all, but I think I have one of them. :)

Retirement pay means you did your 20 years or more and got out and the military pays you for your time in service for the rest of your life. Severance would be a one time pay either at once or divided into so many years until the ultimate total amount is exhausted. Disability is payed to someone who incurred an injury or disease while in service and the military/VA feels it will effect you for the rest of your life. Kind of like retirement, but for a disability.

This was a shot in the dark, so if someone else has something different, please chime in.

Hi, I am confused about the discharge/retirement process. With 17 years service in the guard and active army I am going to be released, with over 15 years of good service.

My BP diagnosis happened while I was off of active duty, but still in the National Guard2_bing.gif.

My questions are the following:

1. With a military retirement due to mental health reasons, does that mean I would still undergo an army/VA rating percentage?

2. I do not understand retirement vs severance vs disability. My discharge is due to mental health reasons. I have bi-polar and ptsd. The bi-polar is the cause of the discharge.

3. I am appealing the decision to be released from the military, but will that appeal affect any disability rating that may or may not be applied?

Thanks in advance for any info. that can be provided.

There are three potential retirements here, in descending order of their advantages to you.

1. Placement on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL) under 10 USC Chapter 61.

2. Placement on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL) under 10 USC Chapter 61.

3. Early qualification for retired pay at age 60 under 10 USC 12731b.

Either PDRL or TDRL requires a determination that your disability was incurred during active service.

PDRL and TDRL retirees get a blue retired ID card and retired pay (minimum 30%).

The early qualification for retired pay at age 60 is available to Reserve/Guard with 15-19 "good years" even if

they incur a disability that is NOT service connected. The downside is that you'd be are a "gray area" Reserve

retiree until age 60 (red Reserve ID card, no check, no military medical until age 60, then you get a blue ID card, check

and military medical).

From what you've presented, it sounds like they're going with route 3. Under that route, the military wouldn't rate you.

They'd just release you and you'd apply for the early qual (which at least gets you BX/PX/commissary/MWR now, and

your check at age 60). A successful VA claim will require you to prove that your condition(s) is/are service-connected.