Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sciatic Nerve Pain!

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

I am currently 4 months post op from L4-L5 fusion. I had a diskectomy performed on this same level in August 2009 and when in the Air Force in 1989. I am in the process of filing my claim (I have all of my records and 4 doctors letters). My question is regarding the section covering sthe sciatic nerve. It appears that the rating does not cover pain, just numbness, loss of use etc... I am still having severve sciatic pain in my left buttock, even after the surguries and the doc said that it might be stuck in some pain loop and it may be permanent. I have been on lyrica for about 2+ months with not much success. I am also having severe pain in my hip that goes to my knee and then if I do something I shouldn't it goes down my lateral leg to ankle and toes. Is there any rating for sciatic pain? I occasionally get some tingling in my foot and I do have deep nerve sensation loss (can feel light touch but not if you jab into my calf), but no paralysis. The sciatic nerve rating is so subjective...I just don't know what to expect.

I am applying for sciatica and I guess/hope that they will evaluate and rate properly based on my severe pain and limits.

Please respond if you can help.

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadfit and I hope that you find relief from the pain. I don't know about the ratings but if your operation was on something service connected you should get 100% for a period of time and than reevaluated.

Good Luck

I am currently 4 months post op from L4-L5 fusion. I had a diskectomy performed on this same level in August 2009 and when in the Air Force in 1989. I am in the process of filing my claim (I have all of my records and 4 doctors letters). My question is regarding the section covering sthe sciatic nerve. It appears that the rating does not cover pain, just numbness, loss of use etc... I am still having severve sciatic pain in my left buttock, even after the surguries and the doc said that it might be stuck in some pain loop and it may be permanent. I have been on lyrica for about 2+ months with not much success. I am also having severe pain in my hip that goes to my knee and then if I do something I shouldn't it goes down my lateral leg to ankle and toes. Is there any rating for sciatic pain? I occasionally get some tingling in my foot and I do have deep nerve sensation loss (can feel light touch but not if you jab into my calf), but no paralysis. The sciatic nerve rating is so subjective...I just don't know what to expect.

I am applying for sciatica and I guess/hope that they will evaluate and rate properly based on my severe pain and limits.

Please respond if you can help.

Actually it is not all subjective. Nerve conduction studies and EMG's are excellent tests to help diagnose nerve damage and corroberate what the patient says. The pain you are experiencing may or may not improve, it is most likely due to nerve damage and only time will tell if it gets better. But, if if gets worse report it immediately. One thing though, it could also be caused by nerve impengement in which case you need to complain to your neurologist or whoever is treating you for this condition. The pain from nerve impingement if treated early enough can resolve or improve, but if left untreated will certainly become permanent. See your doctor soon, ASAP.

JMO,

Bergie

My neurosurgeon is done with me (surgey looks fine). I have accupuncture set up this week. Saw a chrio...he would not touch me. In my cliam should I just list 4.124a - 8520 Sciatic Nerve and list as bilateral and let them work it out?

Thanks for the response Bergie. I am very concerned about the nerve issues. I am trying to line up a neurologist to get to the bottom of my problems. I just hate the thought of another myleogram and the possibilty of an s1 problem. It seems never ending! What do you mean by impingment...additional compression at another level (since I've had the fusion)? I am also concerned about scar tissue since the fusion op report noted (3 months after discectomy) that he removed a massive amount of scar tissue from around the nerve. I don't know if you can do anything about this. The hip and butt pain (and back pain) seems worse now then before my discectomy.

This is something for your future reference and may be of use to you. I too have exactly sciatica produced from a large protusion at the L5 pinching/pushing the S1 to the forward facet. They granted me 20% at the DRO level but gave full grant for "Lumbar strain with radiating pain in buttocks and down legs", which as I understand it from my readings here is VA speak for limiting the rating potential to 40%.

I do not know exactly how or when I will resolve this but I just wanted you to be aware of that possibility when they respond.

Good luck to you on your claim and more importantly I hope your pain resolves itself or at least subsides.

Possible bad news...saw neurologist this week and the did emg and ncs. The results were fine. He said that it means that he doesn't think there is compression on the nerve, but to be sure I have a myleogram set for tomorrow. He said that the nerve pain that I am feeling is probably from a damaged nerve that may be permanent. I asked him about the pain/numbness/dull feelings in my legs and he said that it is from my damaged nerve...like a loose wire. All he said the can do is manage with meds and injections. How do you rate for a damaged nerve? I will look at the regs..thought I saw several other listings under sciatic (Neuralgia...). I almost hope they find some compression rather than permanent damage.

Edited by 81150 CAFB