VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Professional Poker Affect Va And Ssdi Benefits?

Rate this question

rosypalm

Question

Greetings Vets,

Well I'm a happy man Im 100 percent p and t and I also have SSDI. My question is now that I have been playing poker and don't want my benefits to be affected. Poker is therapy for me and gives me purpose . I read an article that Billy Baxtor professional poker player went to a high court and made Poker "earned income" to IRS. If that is so will the VA and SSA consider playing poker a job? Please help I dont want to quit on my dream of playing poker ,but I dont want to lose the source of income I have which is Va compensation and ssdi benefits.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Should I file as an amateur and not a professional if and when I do have that oppurtunity? I heard if you file as a "amateur" it is "unearned income" and when you file as a professional it is "earned income".

Greetings Vets,

Well I'm a happy man Im 100 percent p and t and I also have SSDI. My question is now that I have been playing poker and don't want my benefits to be affected. Poker is therapy for me and gives me purpose . I read an article that Billy Baxtor professional poker player went to a high court and made Poker "earned income" to IRS. If that is so will the VA and SSA consider playing poker a job? Please help I dont want to quit on my dream of playing poker ,but I dont want to lose the source of income I have which is Va compensation and ssdi benefits.

If under 10K in a single sitting your ok. If you play on line and win a large amount you will have some difficulty now a days. Several years ago when you had to open an off shore account to play on line poker, I won 27K. I kept every bit by pulling small amounts at a time. I don't know if that will still work. But, as I said if you are winning small amounts you're ok.

JMO,

Bergie

If under 10K in a single sitting your ok. If you play on line and win a large amount you will have some difficulty now a days. Several years ago when you had to open an off shore account to play on line poker, I won 27K. I kept every bit by pulling small amounts at a time. I don't know if that will still work. But, as I said if you are winning small amounts you're ok.

JMO,

Bergie

I play on Full Tilt poker and its online. I want to play at 30/60 limit holdem but i want my Va benefits and ssdi. So far im at 5/10 and it wont be too long till I beat that limit. If VA benefits and ssdi are not affected at a ll by "unearned income" then should I file my irs as amateur and not a professional poker player so it remains "unearned income"?