Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

From Bizarre Denial To Downout False Data

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

At first when I found out I was denied A&A my service officer told me that it was based on not meeting the criteria. Considering that the VA examiner concluded I needed 24/7 supervision from my wife based on the dangers of my environment I thought this reason a little odd. Today I recieved the decision letter and all I can say is I am in shock. I have recieved some pretty crazy denials before but this takes the cake. I'll highlight the insanity:

It's being concluded that I have active service connected and non-service connected aliments I am being treated for. Now other than GERD this is a little confusing to me. The only possiblity they can be using is my feet problems. The last page attached in this scan has a diagnosis from a civilan podiatrist I saw last year. Just some qucik background on the feet. I broke my right foot in boot camp and my left foot in Marine Combat Training. I had no idea why this happens because I never had any issues with my feet prior to service. My meps physical also did not include any feet disorders. So when I get discharged in 95 I filed for service connections for my feet. I get connected at 10% for my right and 0% for my left. Less than a year after I was out I was diagnosed by VA podiatry with Pes Cavus (high arch feet) and ankle equinus. Over the years these diagnoses would go from mild to severe. I was also diagnosed with nerve entrapment on the tops of my feet based on the in service injuries. I guess since my feet were fine prior to going to the USMC I just assumed all these aliments would be a part of my service connections stated residuals of right and left foot injuries. Anyway in 1997 I started to get leg and back pains. By 2000 they were severe and I had my first back surgery. I asked for service connection at that time for my back. I had a podiatrist write a letter saying it was possible that my pes cavus rigid feet caused my back problems from all the humping and running in the Corps. My surgeon also wrote a letter saying it was possible the training in the Marines caused my back to go out. Since I had no history of back issues prior to service and then within 1 1/2 after getting discharged my L3-S1 were rotted and I was told my back looked like a man who had worked hard labor his whole life and was 65 yr old. SO the VA examiner reports that he believes my back was injured directly and seocndary from my feet based on the way I walk. He stated my gait included me shifting my weight off of the third metatarsals which were the ones I fractured. They ended up giving me direct service connection.

Last but not least in 2009 I had a low level back exam done that the VA had never done even though it's in their training manual on IVDS. The civilan dr who examined me measured my muscle groups in my lower extremities and found they were unsymmetrical. He opted I had muscle wasting and atrophy and tied each muscle group back to one of 3 discs taken out of my back. He stated this exam was concurrent with a similar exam he gave me in 2006. Now out of somewhere and I think it's the equinus the VA is stating I have a neurological condition in my legs that is not service connected. I was service connected in 2008 back to 2002 for lower extremity weakness based on straight leg raises. Now to combat this so called non-service connected injures which they don't really tell me about other than the legs I am going to go back to the podiatrist with all my records and ask for a nexus letter to connect Pes Cavus and ankle equinus to my feet or service. FYI Pes Cavus causes pressure on the metatarsal heads hence why I fractures 1 in each foot. Ankle equinus is directly connected to Pes Cavus as well. I probably had Pes Cavus prior to service but I had no issues and even if I did there is no doubt service aggravated it. I also had xrays at the VA in 2009 and they found arthitis in each foot in the 3rd metatarsal area.

Next wacked statement. They state I am not service connected for a right knee, left ankle sprain, fracture left foot, and the neurological legs. I already addressed the legs. As far as right knee, I have no problems with my right knee. As far as left ankle sprain goes the VA podiatrist asked me if I had ankle sprains during service and over the years based on my feet. I said yes but they have no functional impairment soooooooo what the hell? Then there is the fracture left foot. LOL this one kills me. I am service connected for a fracture of the left foot.

They also state that I do not meet the schedular requirment for consideration of this benefit, as you are not rated service connected disabled at 100%. I know these pain killers sometimes put me in lala land but as I recall as of March 2009 I am 80% schedular and TDIU 100%. Are they on crack? Then to make it even worse you don't even need to be 100% to be considered for A&A. Under the Manual M21-1MR, Part IV, subpart ii, 2.H.44© 8.13b, if a disability is rated less than 100% but a recent examination shows that the disability is so severe as to demonstrate a need for regular A&A, the claim should be submitted to the VA central office for an advisory opinion on whether to grant A&A. Lets not forgot Bradley vs Peake and or VA Gen. Coun. Prec. 66-91 (Aug. 15, 1991) and Manual M21-1MR part IV, subpart ii.2.H(a) which allows 38 CFR 4.16 (TDIU) to be used as a basis for entitlement to SMC.

Once again they finally deny me based on having non-service connections.

So glad I need to do their jobs for them. Hopefully I won't die from the stress so when I win these claims my family will be able to enjoy some of the extra money.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I think a while ago there was a discusion close to this topic and for what i have been told that you have to have a least one service connection 100%. A friend of mines recieaves A&A and when we went over his papers it stated that veterans haves a least one disability service connected at 100%. I am not trying to say that you are wrong but you have to remember that every regional office haves thier own way on doing things. Hopefully some of the experts on this topic will come aboard and help you. Good luck

post-2973-1275081794_thumb.jpgpost-2973-1275081825_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=3519:VA_Dec_A_A001_3.jpg]post-2973-1275081881_thumb.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

Windy city you are wrong. See bradley vs peake 2008 cavc decision. That allows TDIU recieptents to recieve housebound (s) etc. Look at the regs I quoted. A&A actually does not even need one 100%. SMC (s) says it does but the bradley vs peake overturned it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not to jump on your post but I am SMC S since I have to have my wife drive since the docs won't let me drive anymore they won't let me use any power tools I was issued the power chair in Sep 2003 and I have to hire everything done around the house cut the grass fix the pool my wife has to bathe me etc that I can ask for aid and attendance? How much extra does that pay I should also file for the K award to I haven't even done that and I can't even remember when the last time we had sex was 2002 maybe or was it 2001? My mind ain't what it used to be either rofl I think they steam rolled me on the S award they gave me SMC S for being housebound rather than the 60% for CAD the VARO is sneaky I do know that

• HadIt.com Elder

Testvet,

Definitely go for A&A. It's about $300 more a month than (s). I'm only in realm under the protect the veteran from the dangers of his environment piece of it since I can still do alot.