VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Children

Rate this question

Scottyp65

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

For the audience at large,

When my daughter turns 18 what happens to the amount of my dependent receipt?

According to the tables I would lose the current $68 yet there is a 218 amount for children 18 and over who are in school. So would there be a net gain of ~$115? Oh and she is going to school this comming fall.

Thanks,

Scotty

Yes Scotty, that is correct. There is a higher amount paid to you when the child enters post-secondary school(college). If you are receive chapter 35 bennies then you can elect to let your child receive that money, but you will lose the dependent pay for him or her.

Pearl

Pearl:

I think you are not correct and correct at the same time. Your statements are conflicting about being 18 and in college verses high school.. The only time you can receive school age child (over 18) is when the child is in high school. If they are in post high school, then the school age child stops for the veteran and chapter 35 begins for the child. Only on a rare occassion can you get school age child (for the veteran) and chapter 35 (for the child); that is when the child is UNDER 18 and in college. My second son did this from June (college summer school) until he reached 18 years of age in September. Yes, school age child does increase when the child reaches 18, but again only if enrolled and attending high school.

Edited by Rich T

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of our kids do not graduate from HS until after they are 18 so you will get the higher amount until they do. Make sure that you fill the forms out each year.

That is the good news and if you are getting SS the little darlings can continue to get thier check for up to 13 months after 18 but it will go straight to them.

Pearl:

I think you are not correct and correct at the same time. Your statements are conflicting about being 18 and in college verses high school.. The only time you can receive school age child (over 18) is when the child is in high school. If they are in post high school, then the school age child stops for the veteran and chapter 35 begins for the child. Only on a rare occassion can you get school age child (for the veteran) and chapter 35 (for the child); that is when the child is UNDER 18 and in college. My second son did this from June (college summer school) until he reached 18 years of age in September. Yes, school age child does increase when the child reaches 18, but again only if enrolled and attending high school.

Rich, I actually did not mention an age as some children graduate before eighteen and some after. I believe the VA asks you to certify that they are in school or not. I'm sorry that I did not make myself clear. What I was stating is that the Veteran can choose to continue to receive benefits based on the child's dependency(which will give the Vet a higher monetary benefit ) or let the child collect the benefits for college training themselves through chapter thirty-five, if the Vet is permanent and total.(which is the route I personally would choose as it pays more money to the child) I also believe that if your child does not go on to college or some other schooling after age eighteen you are no longer able to get the dependent pay for them from the VA .(unless you are a perm and total Vet then chapter thirty five comes into play) In other words there is a choice to made if you are perm and total as to which route you will choose.I am currently applying for chapter thirty-five benefits for my daughter, she is a sophomore in high school. They have sent me letters twice urging me to apply before she actually goes off to college, I guess even they realize how slowly the VA's wheels turn when granting benefits.

Take care

Pearl

Thank you Pearl :mellow: If this child is your oldest and your family is just beginning the DEA 35 program, please remember that the 35 is in the child's name. If they are young adults, then they should start acting like it at that age and be responsible for their living income.

I would also check out the state programs, as many of the states offer some very good incenatives to schooling programs. http://education.military.com/money-for-sc...eteran-benefits