VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi (8045) Rating System

Rate this question

squareknotsailor

Question

Hello:

I've read many documents here and elsewhere, and am confused. Does the VA assign a disability in 8045 based on the average of the three top facets of cognitive impairment, or just rate the single highest? If I am 40% in the Memory loss section, 40% in the Neurobehavior effects section, and 10%, in communication, do they average those top three and divide by 3? Assigning me 30%, or do they just take one of the highest, such as Neurobehavior effects at 40% and assign me 40%.

This is a great site with many amazing links.

thanks

joe

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hello:

I've read many documents here and elsewhere, and am confused. Does the VA assign a disability in 8045 based on the average of the three top facets of cognitive impairment, or just rate the single highest? If I am 40% in the Memory loss section, 40% in the Neurobehavior effects section, and 10%, in communication, do they average those top three and divide by 3? Assigning me 30%, or do they just take one of the highest, such as Neurobehavior effects at 40% and assign me 40%.

This is a great site with many amazing links.

thanks

joe

They just take the highest - given only the percentages you have indicated, the rating would be 40%. Under section 4.12a of 38CFR, it is stipulated that:

"The table titled “Evaluation of Cognitive Impairment and Other Residuals of TBI Not Otherwise Classified” contains 10 important facets of TBI related to cognitive impairment and subjective symptoms. It provides criteria for levels of impairment for each facet, as appropriate, ranging from 0 to 3, and a 5th level, the highest level of impairment, labeled “total.” However, not every facet has every level of severity. The Consciousness facet, for example, does not provide for an impairment level other than “total,” since any level of impaired consciousness would be totally disabling. Assign a 100-percent evaluation if “total” is the level of evaluation for one or more facets. If no facet is evaluated as “total,” assign the overall percentage evaluation based on the level of the highest facet as follows: 0 = 0 percent; 1 = 10 percent; 2 = 40 percent; and 3 = 70 percent. For example, assign a 70 percent evaluation if 3 is the highest level of evaluation for any facet."

Hope this helps.

Thank-you for the information, and I appreciate your quick answer.

Joe

They just take the highest - given only the percentages you have indicated, the rating would be 40%. Under section 4.12a of 38CFR, it is stipulated that:

"The table titled "Evaluation of Cognitive Impairment and Other Residuals of TBI Not Otherwise Classified" contains 10 important facets of TBI related to cognitive impairment and subjective symptoms. It provides criteria for levels of impairment for each facet, as appropriate, ranging from 0 to 3, and a 5th level, the highest level of impairment, labeled "total." However, not every facet has every level of severity. The Consciousness facet, for example, does not provide for an impairment level other than "total," since any level of impaired consciousness would be totally disabling. Assign a 100-percent evaluation if "total" is the level of evaluation for one or more facets. If no facet is evaluated as "total," assign the overall percentage evaluation based on the level of the highest facet as follows: 0 = 0 percent; 1 = 10 percent; 2 = 40 percent; and 3 = 70 percent. For example, assign a 70 percent evaluation if 3 is the highest level of evaluation for any facet."

Hope this helps.