stillhere

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are dependent student loans able to be discharged?

I am paying for my son's student loan and just received 100 P&T is this loan eligible for loan discharge?

Whose name is on the loan papers as being "responsible"? His, I would think. And, of course, that makes HIM responsible for the payments. So, the answer would be "no", in that situation.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

If I understand the rules correctly though if your son wanted to return to school and is under age 26 then he would be able to do it under the Chapter 35 benefits available maybe he wants to get a new degree in another field then there might be some benefit to your dependents the VA does have some great benefits avaialbale for schooling for our spouses and kids after we get the P&T ratings some states also have additional school benefits here in South Carolina kids of 100% P&T veterans get free tuition at any state college they want to attend as long as it is a tax payer funded school I tried talking my son into going either to USC here in Columbia or to USC Aiken where he could have lived at home with his mother in Harlem Ga and drove back and forth daily he chose instaed to enlist in the Army with the itent to get his education while on active duty and then go thru OCS as he plans on making a career out of the Army I wish he had gone to the Citadel and then enlisted he would have been a 2LT then and maybe by then we would be out of Afghanistan yes I am a selfish father I served during 2 wars I wish my kids did not feel the need to go to war I did everything I could to try and talk him out of enlisting I even had his recruiter agreeing that since my son had the ability to use his Chapter 35 benefits and use the South Carolina scholarship program that he should go to college first but in the end he had his mind made up and he signed the papers on Dec 29, 2009 he was picked up by the Armys short bus Sunday to take him to Fort Jackson for basic I imagine he had his uniforms by now and is sweating his behind off I go to Fort Jackson all the time for the commissary and PX but I doubt I will see him while he's in basic rofl 10 miles from home and he might as well be in Korea

the VA benefits have helped a lot of veterans and the program to write off student loans is a great one but sometimes we expect to much there are a lot of the "what if's" questions we all ask my son is the only one of my 4 kids that could even use the school benefits due to age requirements he was a "desert storm baby" and is a decade younger than his sisters by the time I was approved for 100% P&T they were all over age 26 and married with kids they are playing the why can't we use the same benefits questions bottom line because of the rules but I think we all agree the benefits from being P&T are a great deal better than just being 100% and not being P&T......

if he has a desire to go back to school and is age eligible then he should do it now and not wait until he's past 26 in 3 or 5 years from now the old adage "use it or lose it" does apply

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Thanks guys I talked to the lady at the ed. loan and she said like Larry did. If the loan is in his name no. Put the loan in his name when we got it so he could have a good credit rating. I only have little over 6 to pay so no big deal.

Doesn't hurt to ask either right?

By the way going to get ID cards Friday and live right next door to a base. Actually the wife already goes there with a neighbor who is married to retired E-9. From their website it says the only thing DVA cards are good for is commissary and PX. Does that mean none of the MWR activities or clubs? What have you done or heard?

I am not a retired vet. And like testvet said I am happy with what I get but I have seen this posted different ways. What are your experiences?

Edited by stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

you are able to use everything on a military base just like you are retired the only 2 things we don't get are hospital privileges and we can NOT fly Space A except on Coast Guard planes which will allow dependents to fly which is the type of TD cards we get you will get an orange card like dependents had when you were in it just states in the rank area your old rank and DAVPRM you can get some great deals on hotels thru the travel site and you can use the lodging on bases when you are traveling if you want to you get regular base stickers for your vehicles some vets get them and others don't to each their own some don't want to be identified as military some don't want to be identified as diaabled vets there are a lot of jealous nieghbors out there that want to report you for everything you do to try and show the govt that you really aren't disabled and shouldn't be getting all THOSE benefits you are getting if you don't know these types you will meet them soon enough I drive my neighbors nuts I moved in and have never left the house to go to work and I swim in the pool everyday and only leave basically to go to the VA for a doctors appt or go out at 2 am to go shopping with my wife I don't play well with people they don't pay my bills and I don't care what they have to say my plate shows I am a disabled vet and I have the base stickers and I don't pay property taxes if I could go back to work I would I can't so I use all of the benefits available to me and my family

you are able to use everything on a military base just like you are retired the only 2 things we don't get are hospital privileges and we can NOT fly Space A except on Coast Guard planes which will allow dependents to fly which is the type of TD cards we get you will get an orange card like dependents had when you were in it just states in the rank area your old rank and DAVPRM you can get some great deals on hotels thru the travel site and you can use the lodging on bases when you are traveling if you want to you get regular base stickers for your vehicles some vets get them and others don't to each their own some don't want to be identified as military some don't want to be identified as diaabled vets there are a lot of jealous nieghbors out there that want to report you for everything you do to try and show the govt that you really aren't disabled and shouldn't be getting all THOSE benefits you are getting if you don't know these types you will meet them soon enough I drive my neighbors nuts I moved in and have never left the house to go to work and I swim in the pool everyday and only leave basically to go to the VA for a doctors appt or go out at 2 am to go shopping with my wife I don't play well with people they don't pay my bills and I don't care what they have to say my plate shows I am a disabled vet and I have the base stickers and I don't pay property taxes if I could go back to work I would I can't so I use all of the benefits available to me and my family

test do you know where I can find a copy of the rule or law that states a DVA vet rated 100% P/T is granted the same benefits of a retired vet? From everything I have been able to put my hands on lately it shows the commandant of the base has the discretion except the commissary/Px is granted.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am just speaking from my own experience at Fort Jackson and Fort Gordon and using the online travel site thru the recreation department a base commander is just that the Commander regulations are for the guidance of the Commander but a Commander can make rules for their base if the base guest house is always full of active duty or TDY personnel I can imagine a Commander would prohibit anyone else from being able to stay there Commanders can make up pretty much any rule they want for their base and if the chit hits the fan over it they are the one that would pay for stepping over the bounds

are there regulations governing our eligibility for services available on military bases I am sure there are someplace I just don't know where they are myself I haven't seen an Army Manual in decades but everything is in a rule book somewhere and i another rule book somewhere I can usually find another regulation that says something different in an 180 degree turn one rule says yes and another rule says no the military has been doing that for decades I doubt if they have changed that much since the 70s they like wiggle room

But if someone tells you the Base Commander has declared a facility off limits to disabled personnel I think I would call the IG office and ask them why and if there really is such a directive from the Base Commander but I have never heard of anyone having a problem on a large military base air force, Army, Navy or Marines now most Coast Guard bases are so small they probably would have some restrictions, some of the old Army bases like Fort MacArthur in Long beach years ago would have restricted it's use the PX was smaller than a 7/11 store

But I have never been denied the use of any facility at either gordon or Jackson or even the Air Force base Shaw in Sumter or Charleston

I was an Air Force brat my mom remarried after my father died and my step father was a retired NCO, so I grew up using military facilities, I spent 9 years active 6 years National Guard then I got my 100% in 2006 and have been going on bases since then and I haven't been denied the use of any facility anywhere so I really never even thought about being DENIED a use of a facility but I know as a disabled vet not retired that I can not use a base hospital or fly Space A on Air Force planes but if I happened to have a heart attack on base I would expect them to take me to the hospital and get me stabilized before sending my to the VA in an ambulance if not my wife can sue the bastards after I am dead common decency says they should help anyone having a heart attack anywhere regardless of what kind of ID card they have or don't have

Now I will spend the day searching for a damn reg rofl now you have me wondering where the rules are damn