Rate this question

stillhere

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am just speaking from my own experience at Fort Jackson and Fort Gordon and using the online travel site thru the recreation department a base commander is just that the Commander regulations are for the guidance of the Commander but a Commander can make rules for their base if the base guest house is always full of active duty or TDY personnel I can imagine a Commander would prohibit anyone else from being able to stay there Commanders can make up pretty much any rule they want for their base and if the chit hits the fan over it they are the one that would pay for stepping over the bounds

are there regulations governing our eligibility for services available on military bases I am sure there are someplace I just don't know where they are myself I haven't seen an Army Manual in decades but everything is in a rule book somewhere and i another rule book somewhere I can usually find another regulation that says something different in an 180 degree turn one rule says yes and another rule says no the military has been doing that for decades I doubt if they have changed that much since the 70s they like wiggle room

But if someone tells you the Base Commander has declared a facility off limits to disabled personnel I think I would call the IG office and ask them why and if there really is such a directive from the Base Commander but I have never heard of anyone having a problem on a large military base air force, Army, Navy or Marines now most Coast Guard bases are so small they probably would have some restrictions, some of the old Army bases like Fort MacArthur in Long beach years ago would have restricted it's use the PX was smaller than a 7/11 store

But I have never been denied the use of any facility at either gordon or Jackson or even the Air Force base Shaw in Sumter or Charleston

I was an Air Force brat my mom remarried after my father died and my step father was a retired NCO, so I grew up using military facilities, I spent 9 years active 6 years National Guard then I got my 100% in 2006 and have been going on bases since then and I haven't been denied the use of any facility anywhere so I really never even thought about being DENIED a use of a facility but I know as a disabled vet not retired that I can not use a base hospital or fly Space A on Air Force planes but if I happened to have a heart attack on base I would expect them to take me to the hospital and get me stabilized before sending my to the VA in an ambulance if not my wife can sue the bastards after I am dead common decency says they should help anyone having a heart attack anywhere regardless of what kind of ID card they have or don't have

Now I will spend the day searching for a damn reg rofl now you have me wondering where the rules are damn

Sorry about that test but that is kind of what I have been doing the past few days. At the base I would be going to Ft Belovir in the ID section it states the DVA id is "only good for commissary and PX. Tried to call their office but have not gotten through. Did call the golf club and ask if I could join and was told no. So I hope I will find out something straight in the next few days.

I did find one site that quoted some rules will try and find that again. It implied that it was at the discretion of the base commander that is why I brought it up.

Happy hunting!

• HadIt.com Elder

Commissary, Exchange and MWR

Military family members enjoy many base privileges, these include access to the Commissary, Exchange, and MWR. The following is a summary of these important services:

Commissaries

Exchange

MWR

Commissaries

The Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) operates the military Commissaries throughout the world. DeCA Commissaries are supermarkets, usually located on military installations, that sell food, sundry and cleaning products for cost plus a 5 percent surcharge to active duty military, guard and reserve members, retirees and qualified family members. Authorized shoppers need only show proper military ID to use the commissary.

Note: As of November of 2003 Guard and Reserve received unlimited shopping privileges signed into law under the 2004 Defense Authorization act.

Exchange

Post exchanges, base exchanges, Army and Air Force exchange service (AAFES), Navy exchanges, Marine exchanges (NEX), and shoppettes are all examples of military exchange stores. The exchange is the military department and drug store. Guard and Reserve personnel and their dependents have unlimited shopping privileges at any exchange. A military ID is required.

Click here to "check out" DeCA's monthly Consumer Education Feature.

MWR

Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) activities include arts and crafts facilities, bowling centers, golf courses, libraries, outdoor recreation, recreation centers, youth centers activities and recreation membership clubs. In most instances, Guard and Reserve members and their dependents are entitled to use all class "C" facilities on the same basis as active duty personnel. Local installation and facility commanders do have the authority to establish priorities for MWR activities that are high demand and unable to accommodate all who desire to participate. Be sure to call ahead and confirm hours of operation and eligibility for the activity you and your family are interested in.

Contact your base MWR to find out exactly what they have to offer in your area.

my ID card states Commissary, Exchange, and MWR and golf courses are a recreational activity as is the rest of the stuff listed above you should be able to use all of them

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

test do you know where I can find a copy of the rule or law that states a DVA vet rated 100% P/T is granted the same benefits of a retired vet? From everything I have been able to put my hands on lately it shows the commandant of the base has the discretion except the commissary/Px is granted.

Well, I ain't test, but, I doubt that there is such a law or rule. The facility commander has ultimate authority as to what goes on at their facility, and that includes the use of "base priveleges", including the MWR and the transient facilitys. Some allow all disabled veterans, some allow 100% disabled veterans, some allow 100% Permanently and Totally disabled veterans, some dis-allow all the previously mentioned veterans. Some bases have barely enough beds to accomodate the active duty and reserve components that are on active duty and are assigned to that base. A couple bases are hot-cotting. So, call ahead if you wish accomodations.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph