VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Residents Claim There Is A Cancer Cluster Near Fort Detrick, Maryland

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

RESIDENTS CLAIM THERE IS A CANCER CLUSTER NEAR FORT DETRICK, MARYLAND "I believe the people of Frederick need to know there is a serial killer in their backyard called Fort Detrick."

NOTE from Larry Scott, VA Watchdog dot Org ... Use our search engine for more about Fort Detrick, Maryland ... here ...

http://www.yourvaben...=detrick&op=and

And, be sure to watch the video of this story at the link below.

-------------------------

Residents Claim Cancer Cluster Near Ft. Detrick

posted by: Markham Evans

http://www.wjla.com/...810/761202.html

FREDERICK, Md. - 7's On Your Side with a health warning for people who live near Fort Detrick.

Researchers say the soil may be contaminated, causing health problems. Residents whose family members are dying have teamed up with experts to insist there is contamination at Fort Detrick is leading to deadly forms of cancer for people living in Frederick.

"I believe the people of Frederick needs to know there is a serial killer in their backyard called Fort Detrick," said Randy White, whose daughter and wife are among the 400 neighborhood residents with cancer in Frederick. He insists it's a cancer cluster caused by Agent Orange and other toxins tested or used at Fort Detrick.

The residents say the B-11 section of Fort Detrick, running along Shookstown Road, is considered to have the highest levels of contamination.

Bill Krantz spent 76 years on his Shookstown Road family farm. Five of his immediate family members were diagnosed with cancer.

"It's been an awfully hard time, especially my wife being sick," Krantz said. "It's been a year and a half of something you wouldn't believe, caused by something we thought was never going to happen there. Be cause we lived there all our lives."

Fort Detrick officials say Agent Orange was used, as well as industrial solvents. Officials are taking steps to clean up the contamination but admit it's not complete.

Along Shookstown Road, where there are many homes, crews digging had no idea there might be possible contamination…. Neither did many residents.

"They're going to check it," said Tom Fryer, who has lived in Frederick for ten years. "If it's not safe, they're not going to let you drink it."

"That makes me a little nervous because I definitely drink from my tap and if my well is in the contaminated area, that would make me nervous," said Georgi Pisano, a five-year resident of Frederick.

Randy White is worried the groundwater is just one part of the problem. He wants a congressional investigation.

"I believe the water is a small percentage of what we're talking about," White said. "You're talking vapor intrusion where it comes up through the ground. You're talking about our streams, our creeks. Agent Orange is one of the most deadly chemicals known to man today and they sprayed the entire area."

Fort Detrick officials are not confirming any cancer clusters, but have met with area residents and say they are checking records to try and determine how much Agent Orange was used at the military site. Meantime they are continuing work to try and cover the contaminated landfills, but say some seepage is expected.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Not surprising... there was also an Anthrax there at one time. Although now shut down, the building remains... and it's OFF LIMITS.

• HadIt.com Elder

there was and probably still is a LOT of very nasty stuff at Fort Detrick they used to just dump a lot of stuff in the ground decades ago I guess no one ever thought about contamination back then it wasn't until after the Love Canal mess hit the news that the EPA was even formed it would have seemed that they would have found this mess at Detrick back in the late 70s or 80s not 2010 the Army has known for decades where this stuff has been dumped all they had to do was ask fort Detrick was built during WW2 and in the early 50s so it's not as contaminated as bad as Edgewood Arsenal is which was built back in 1917 as the Chemical Depot for the War Department they have been dumping toxic substances there for more than 60 years they were put on the Superfund list for cleanup in 1978 the cleanup still isn't finished and all the bases water wells were capped in 1978....... talk about toxic kool aid they made it..... toxic coffee etc....