Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Asbestos Win! Thanks Hadit!

Rate this topic

Guest morgan

Guest morgan

I just wanted to add good news today to encourage other veterans. Some of you may remember that I was helping a veteran with an asbestosis claim when he also found out he had bladder cancer. He got news today that he won service connection--100% for his COPD/asbestos exposure, and 100% for bladder cancer, also 30% for hearing loss. An interesting point about this is he was a heavy smoker during service and started again when he went to counseling for PTSD last year. He smokes two or three cigarettes a day and he was truthful about that to the examiner. It was noted, and we sweated that, but it didn't stop his win. Shows being truthful goes a long way. B)

I am very excited for this veteran and his wife, who is also disabled. They have struggled financially and finally had to file bankruptcy. The increased finances will change his stress level dramatically.

Another point to mention about this claim: as soon as I met them, I wrote an informal claim letter for him saying he planned to file a claim "for service connection related to serious medical problems," then we gathered all of his medical file a few months later. His effective date was the date the VA received the informal letter. I didn't mention specific conditions because at that time I wasn't sure what he had in his file to work with.

Moral to this story: Always be truthful (not to imply that veterans would lie, but I think the raters can spot misrepresentation a mile away), and as soon as you think you have an inkling you may qualify for benefits, make an informal claim. The formal claim must follow within a year of the VA receipt of the informal claim letter.

When his wife called me, this veteran was weak and nauseated from today's chemo, but he was resting much better and praising the Lord when he talked to me after this good news. He is an awesome person and I am relieved that this is settled--in ten months.

This, my friends, is satisfaction in my life. I LOVE VETERANS! :)

Carrie

Edited by morgan

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Carrie thank you for helping a Veteran and his spouse.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.