Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd?

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I was injured during a parachute landing 34 years ago in the service and it wasn't in a combat zone. My question is since I have alot of the symptoms of PTSD including, anxiety and panic atacks, depresion, hypertention, angry spells, and nightmares of falling and falling. the dreams aren't falling from a parachute but stupid things like off of a building, over a cliff, over a bridge, ect. Could this be part of PTSD?

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www4.va.gov/v...es4/0627773.txt

The link above is to the full text of the case I posted last night. The BVA's website wasn't working last night. BVA cases are not precedent-setting. However, I have seen other cases where a veteran claimed to have had treatment and the records were not available because the medical facility kept the record for a limited amount of time.

If it were me I would file a claim for anxiety disorder to include panic attack, panic disorder and PTSD. And let the VA figure out how to rate your claim.

In the 90s I worked with some workers compensation attorneys. If you were in a car accident the doctors they worked with would give you a diagnosis in addition to physical injury of a stress disorder. As you healed from the physical injuries they would also monitor and treat any symptoms of anxiety and stress. Back in the 70s the military and even civilian workers compensation clinicians did not pay much attention to stress and anxiety. With this in mind if you have trouble with VA doctors associating initial mental symptoms with your in-service injury then find a clinician who has been working on workers compensation claims for most of their careers.

Testvet. Thanks for covering the records issue/ I had actually thought about typing up a note telling him to get the records directly from the hospital. However, finding these old cases on my computer keeps me pretty busy.

Wings, thanks for the compliment..

I tried the link you posted but it couldn't find the page. My claim is still pending for IU, I did add anxiety/panic disiorder as secondary but not PTSD. I still have 3 more weeks to send in more evidence. I like the idea about consulting a workers comp doc.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

I would think the hospital at Fort Benning would still have the inpatient records if you were hospitalized there I found records of mine at Fort Gordon in 2002 of the time I was in DDEAMC in 1978 they even still have the x rays....... I don't know how often they purge the files or how long they are supposed to keep them they don't treat medical records the same way civilian doctors do though have you attempted to get records from Fort Benning so you can prove in incident happened

I'll certaintly give it a try Testvet. Heck it's been so long I wonder if it's the same hospital.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Better yet

Citation Nr: 0627773 Decision Date: 09/05/06 Archive Date: 09/12/06 DOCKET NO. 98-09 648 ) DATE ) On appeal from theDepartment of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in St. Petersburg, Florida THE ISSUE Entitlement to service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including a panic disorder. REPRESENTATION Appellant represented by: Disabled American Veterans WITNESSES AT HEARING ON APPEAL The veteran and his wife ATTORNEY FOR THE BOARD Linda E. Mosakowski, Associate CounselINTRODUCTION The veteran served on active duty from October 1967 to October 1969. This matter comes to the Board of Veterans' Appeals (Board) on appeal from a rating decision by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Regional Office (RO) in St. Petersburg, Florida. After the RO issued the February 2006 supplemental statement of the case (SSOC), the veteran submitted additional evidence with respect to his appeal. Generally, if, after certification to the Board, pertinent evidence is submitted without notice that the veteran has waived his procedural right to have the agency of original jurisdiction consider the evidence, the appeal is remanded to the RO for initial consideration of the evidence and issuance of a supplemental statement of the case. 38 C.F.R. § 20.1304©. That regulation also provides, however, that the evidence need not be referred to the RO if the Board determines that the benefit to which the evidence relates may be fully allowed on appeal without such referral. Id. Since the veteran's claim for service connection is granted below, no referral to the RO will be made. FINDINGS OF FACT 1. The veteran currently has a diagnosis of a panic disorder. 2. The veteran incurred an injury during service, described variously as traumatic experiences and as duties that required constant vigilance. 3. The veteran's current panic disorder is related to active military service. CONCLUSION OF LAW The criteria for service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including panic disorder, have been met. 38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 5107 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.303 (2005). REASONS AND BASES FOR FINDINGS AND CONCLUSION To establish service connection for a claimed disability, the evidence must demonstrate that a disease or injury resulting in a current disability was incurred during active service. 38 U.S.C.A. § 1110; 38 C.F.R. § 3.303. Generally, service connection requires: (1) existence of a current disability; (2) existence of a disease or injury during service; and (3) a nexus between current disability and any injury or disease incurred in service. See Watson v. Brown, 4 Vet. App. 309, 314 (1993) (a determination of service connection requires a finding of the existence of a current disability and a determination of the relationship between that disability and an injury or disease incurred in service). Two doctors have diagnosed the veteran with a panic disorder. The veteran has received treatment for a panic disorder for several years. The record clearly establishes the first requirement of service connection--that the veteran currently has a panic disorder disability. There is conflicting evidence about whether the veteran incurred his panic disorder during active military service. The veteran's service medical records contain no indication that he had a psychiatric condition during service. His exit examination also is silent as to any psychiatric conditions. And while the veteran states that he received treatment within two years of separation from service, neither the veteran nor the RO could obtain the treatment records from the veteran's physician. On the other hand, two doctors have specifically stated that the veteran's current panic disorder is related to his active military service. Service connection may be granted for any disease diagnosed after separation when all the evidence establishes that the disease was incurred in service. 38 C.F.R. § 3.303(d). If evidence sufficiently demonstrates a medical relationship between the veteran's in-service experiences and his current disability, it follows that the veteran incurred an injury in service. See Godfrey v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 352, 356 (1992). From their discussions with the veteran about his experiences during service, both doctors determined that his current disability stemmed from his active military service. Dr. Suarez expressed the opinion that the veteran's panic attacks with agoraphobia were related to "his duties in the Army from 1967 to 1969 which required a constant vigilance." The VA examiner in January 2006 related the veteran's panic disorder to his "traumatic experiences in the military." It, therefore, follows that the veteran incurred an injury in service. See Godfrey, supra. Other evidence in the record supports the doctor's opinions. The veteran himself testified that, immediately following service, he was subject to panic attacks that became so severe he sought medical treatment. His wife testified that right after the veteran's active service, he had trouble breathing, one of the symptoms of his panic disorder. He was also very nervous after his service. She testified that before he went in the Army, he did not manifest those symptoms. Thus, the second requirement for service connection is met on this record. Finally, at the veteran's January 2006 VA examination, the examiner explicitly stated that it is more likely than not that the veteran's current panic disorder is related to his military experience. Since the record demonstrates all three requirements for service connection, the veteran's claim will be granted. Accordingly, there is no need to address whether VA met its duty to notify and to assist the veteran in obtaining evidence sufficient to substantiate his claim. (CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE) ORDER Service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including a panic disorder, is granted.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

Better yet

Citation Nr: 0627773 Decision Date: 09/05/06 Archive Date: 09/12/06 DOCKET NO. 98-09 648 ) DATE ) On appeal from theDepartment of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in St. Petersburg, Florida THE ISSUE Entitlement to service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including a panic disorder. REPRESENTATION Appellant represented by: Disabled American Veterans WITNESSES AT HEARING ON APPEAL The veteran and his wife ATTORNEY FOR THE BOARD Linda E. Mosakowski, Associate CounselINTRODUCTION The veteran served on active duty from October 1967 to October 1969. This matter comes to the Board of Veterans' Appeals (Board) on appeal from a rating decision by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Regional Office (RO) in St. Petersburg, Florida. After the RO issued the February 2006 supplemental statement of the case (SSOC), the veteran submitted additional evidence with respect to his appeal. Generally, if, after certification to the Board, pertinent evidence is submitted without notice that the veteran has waived his procedural right to have the agency of original jurisdiction consider the evidence, the appeal is remanded to the RO for initial consideration of the evidence and issuance of a supplemental statement of the case. 38 C.F.R. § 20.1304©. That regulation also provides, however, that the evidence need not be referred to the RO if the Board determines that the benefit to which the evidence relates may be fully allowed on appeal without such referral. Id. Since the veteran's claim for service connection is granted below, no referral to the RO will be made. FINDINGS OF FACT 1. The veteran currently has a diagnosis of a panic disorder. 2. The veteran incurred an injury during service, described variously as traumatic experiences and as duties that required constant vigilance. 3. The veteran's current panic disorder is related to active military service. CONCLUSION OF LAW The criteria for service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including panic disorder, have been met. 38 U.S.C.A. §§ 1110, 5107 (West 2002); 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.303 (2005). REASONS AND BASES FOR FINDINGS AND CONCLUSION To establish service connection for a claimed disability, the evidence must demonstrate that a disease or injury resulting in a current disability was incurred during active service. 38 U.S.C.A. § 1110; 38 C.F.R. § 3.303. Generally, service connection requires: (1) existence of a current disability; (2) existence of a disease or injury during service; and (3) a nexus between current disability and any injury or disease incurred in service. See Watson v. Brown, 4 Vet. App. 309, 314 (1993) (a determination of service connection requires a finding of the existence of a current disability and a determination of the relationship between that disability and an injury or disease incurred in service). Two doctors have diagnosed the veteran with a panic disorder. The veteran has received treatment for a panic disorder for several years. The record clearly establishes the first requirement of service connection--that the veteran currently has a panic disorder disability. There is conflicting evidence about whether the veteran incurred his panic disorder during active military service. The veteran's service medical records contain no indication that he had a psychiatric condition during service. His exit examination also is silent as to any psychiatric conditions. And while the veteran states that he received treatment within two years of separation from service, neither the veteran nor the RO could obtain the treatment records from the veteran's physician. On the other hand, two doctors have specifically stated that the veteran's current panic disorder is related to his active military service. Service connection may be granted for any disease diagnosed after separation when all the evidence establishes that the disease was incurred in service. 38 C.F.R. § 3.303(d). If evidence sufficiently demonstrates a medical relationship between the veteran's in-service experiences and his current disability, it follows that the veteran incurred an injury in service. See Godfrey v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 352, 356 (1992). From their discussions with the veteran about his experiences during service, both doctors determined that his current disability stemmed from his active military service. Dr. Suarez expressed the opinion that the veteran's panic attacks with agoraphobia were related to "his duties in the Army from 1967 to 1969 which required a constant vigilance." The VA examiner in January 2006 related the veteran's panic disorder to his "traumatic experiences in the military." It, therefore, follows that the veteran incurred an injury in service. See Godfrey, supra. Other evidence in the record supports the doctor's opinions. The veteran himself testified that, immediately following service, he was subject to panic attacks that became so severe he sought medical treatment. His wife testified that right after the veteran's active service, he had trouble breathing, one of the symptoms of his panic disorder. He was also very nervous after his service. She testified that before he went in the Army, he did not manifest those symptoms. Thus, the second requirement for service connection is met on this record. Finally, at the veteran's January 2006 VA examination, the examiner explicitly stated that it is more likely than not that the veteran's current panic disorder is related to his military experience. Since the record demonstrates all three requirements for service connection, the veteran's claim will be granted. Accordingly, there is no need to address whether VA met its duty to notify and to assist the veteran in obtaining evidence sufficient to substantiate his claim. (CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE) ORDER Service connection for an acquired psychiatric condition, including a panic disorder, is granted.

Now thats very interesting! Thank's Hoppy !!!

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!