Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Many Vets Should Have Done

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

As with most of us, we look back on things we chould have/should have done...

which is impossible now,

but , to help others, they should repport every incident, no matter how small, especially if it is medical... even dwon to cuts and brusies. I had no idiea what would unfold through my years serving and the years later..

al the health issues, and al the medical issues, whether I reported them or not.

I am thankful that I reported as many as I did, or else I might be up the creek without a paddle..

and if someone did not report them, a buddy statement might be their only hope of showing proof.

There are severla incidents I did not report.. because I was embarrased or thought i was tough..

I think a broken nose... was one..

I was also near a bomb attack on our base, (A terrorist blew up a car bomb across the street from the smal wooden building i was in with several other people.. we had the night shift and it was at 7:20 am, when this car bomb went off. The five story building was destroyed... I went into the buidling later to help with the effort to look at damage..

several floor were collapsed, the glass went through al the heavy winter coats on coat racks and the glass was sticking in walls and door frames..

the car partas from several cars went over the five story building...

Severla people and myself were thrown across a room and on the floor. We never reported this to the doctors because we didn't feel the need to.

No one was int he building at the time, because the daily work started at 8 am... and it was only 7:20 am.

It was a NATO headquarters buiding that was the target...

that's it in a nutshell.. but there's much more to it..

But, There are many instances where we do not report incidents to the medical and doctors.. that may affect us later..

I would never try to say I was in combat, I was not, and would never try to make anything i have been through as important as what a combat Veteran did/does.

But, now, the VA would not know about my broken nose happened on active duty.. nor of my shock in the bomb attack..

Unles sof course I went through hell trying to find people for a buddy report..

but, I had enough experiences and have enough health issues that I shouldn't even need to think about the things I never reported..

Just Sayin..

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Have you filed a claim for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

If not, please familiarize yourself with the symptoms of PTSD and how they affect us in our daily lives.

Yes No

Have you experienced or witnessed a life-threatening event that caused intense fear, helplessness or horror?

Do you re-experience the event in at least one of the following ways?

Yes No

Repeated, distressing memories and/or dreams?

Yes No

Acting or feeling as if the event was happening again? (flashbacks or re-living it).

Yes No

Intense physical and/or emotional distress when you are exposed to things that remind you of the event?

Yes No

Do you avoid reminders of the event and feel numb, compared to the way you felt before?

Yes No

Do you avoid thoughts, feelings and conversations about the event?

Yes No

Do you avoid activities, places or people who remind you of it?

Yes No

Have you blanked on parts of the detail?

Yes No

Are you losing interest in significant activities in your life?

Yes No

Are you feeling detached from other people?

Yes No

Do you feel as if your range of emotions is restricted?

Yes No

Do you feel is if your future is diminished in terms of marriage, children or a normal life span?

Are you troubled by two or more of the following:

Yes No

Problems sleeping?

Yes No

Irritability or outbursts of anger?

Yes No

Problems concentrating?

Yes No

Feeling 'on-guard'?

Yes No

An exaggerated startle response?